• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What transmission cooler?

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL
Well the Yank SS3600 and new built trans are sitting in the garage so it's time to add up the little things and get it all together.
Looking for a trans cooler. I see a few different brands like perma cool B&M supercoolers and hayden ones from most different f-body stores. Any input/experience on which ones are better than others?
Do most come with all the lines and fittings to put them right in?
I plan on running this one after the radiator cooler in-line with it. Is that the best way to do it?

And while I'm at it am I missing anything to do the install?

-SS3600 stall
-Built trans
-SFI flexplate
-ARP flexplate bolts
-ARP torque converter bolts
-Energy suspension trans bushing

How much fluid am I looking to use with a dry trans/stall/and cooler? And is it worth it to go with the Synthetic royal purple stuff or just ATF fluid. I know yank said to use synthetic with their stall but most people dont like to run it in their trans's. Sorry for all the quesitons. It's my first big trans install lol

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
braided stainless lines!
and the cooler of your choice, B&M is what I run, but I'm sure anything decent will work.

I'd run standard fluid, most trans builders will tell you NO syn. Capacity will depend on what cooler, lines and pan you run. I think they take around 12qts dry.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Yank says do NOT use synthetic in their converters. I used the standard BM cooler that's popular on tech and got it from speed Inc. Installed the cooler with all the supplied fittings and haven't had a problem in two years so far. My trans is stock though. I'm sure with your setup the braided stuff might be worth it.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
the reason its ran inline stock is so the trans temps can get up to operating temp via coolant temps. its a good system.
eagle's car is a heavily modified car. he probably doesn't have to worry about getting to operating temps with that converter and that much PAH in there.

if you run standalone run a trans temp gauge so you don't beat on your trans when its cold. cold trans (vs operating temp and not overheating temp) is not good. just because its built doesn't mean its unaffected by trans fluid temperature.

I went with one like this
coolin16.jpg

It was the biggest one I could find. I think it was made for a diesel truck or something. I had to cut stuff to make it fit, it was no big deal.

I went from the rad to the cooler back to the trans. I figured this was the most efficient way of cooling the trans. I thought because the rad coolant temp could get to about 180 degrees going through the rad first then through the cooler would cool better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info