• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

To those who have done f-body speakers...

JDHedman

" The Remote Start Guy "
Jun 5, 2009
Algonquin
They won't it as hard. The stock woofer for the sail panel has a paper cone and needs like half the power the alpine. The stock speaker was designed for the stock amp so it will sound better. Putting an amp on it or running it off the deck if you have an aftermarket will get you more sound but it still won't be the same

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
i guess i dont know the particulars of sound systems but I changed all of the speakers in my car.
infinity speakers in the doors and hatch. in the back seats, i acutally have 6" sub woofers...my brother in law bought them from radio shack years ago.

never changed the headunit or amp....radio says monsoon on it and i have the 12 disk changer....

car sounds alot better...never had any problems

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
My stockers have 4ohms printed on them.

It sucks I might just rewire the whole stereo unless there is an easier way like a direct drop in amp to replace the monsoon one

dual voice coil 4 ohms

i'm guessing you have a monsoon system?

the 4 wires are because the speakers are coax but are wired as components. the ones you pulled off the connections closer to the magnet i beleive are powering the 3/4" tweeters from the head unit. the other connection is getting power from the amp. may be backwards, its been a while.

theres write ups on ls1tech on how to modify monsoon systems...
factory amp is a 200wattrms 8 channel amp.

if you want a good matched, tested (db/sql) system, check out keeaudio. supposedly, they actually had those speakers/subs (minus the bazookas) built to the specs they wanted specifically for fbodys. (stock replacements for monsoon systems)

I typed up a whole post before I realized you had a firebird. Since I own a Camaro, I guess I assumed everybody has a Camaro, lol!

In Monsoon Firebirds (10 speaker elements in 6 locations) the amp powered everything but 4 tweeters (1 in each door and 1 in each hatch side), which were powered by the head unit, but in Camaros, (8 speaker elements in 6 locations), all 8 elements are powered by the amp and the head unit does nothing.

In Firebirds, the sail panels were DUAL voice coil 2 ohm subs, where in Camaros, it was single voice coil. So that's why you have 4 wires going in it.

I never listened to the stereo in a firebird, but man you guys got it nice! I had a bitch of a time trying to find a place to put my new tweeters.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info