• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Day cruise to the Pontiac Museum in Pontiac, IL this summer?

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
I discussed it over at my other club, and there was some interest. Figured the more the merrier, so let me know if there's some interest here as well.

http://www.mfba.org/showthread.php?t=63931&highlight=museum

Pontiac museum:
http://www.suntimes.com/lifestyles/travel/2825759-417/pontiac-dye-museum-car-ill.html

Sounds like it might be a decent destination to take a cruise to this summer, and the guy who runs it would certainly take interest in having a handful or more of our Firebirds, GrandPrixs, G8s, and bastard step-brother Camaros showing up.

Anyway, something to keep on the radar for a potential event.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I might be interested in this cruise with the G8. My dad is lending his '68 GTO to the museum for a good part of the summer. I'd like to run up there and get a few pictures.

I heard about the GTO getting into the museum. Very cool. I think your dad and my dad talked about driving the car down there, so hopefully we can set up a cruise with all of us to do that. I think that would be fun.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
He was very proud that his car will be on display. It's unfortunate though that he won't be able to drive it much through the summer. But I really don't think he drives it much these days. I think he's still debating on whether or not it will survive the cruise. He's been having over-heating problems with it the last year. It sounds like he may need to do some maintenance or something with the cooling system. I think he'll have it towed down there if he can't fix the over-heating problem soon enough.

I agree, I think it would be a great cruise down there. It really is a hike though, I thought my dad said at least two hours.

Dan00Hawk

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Apr 10, 2011
Plainfield
Great to hear, guys! That's wicked that your dad's goat is going to be on display!

It takes me about 90 minutes to get to Bloomington from Aurora, and Pontiac is between here and there. Might be 2 hours MAX if you were towing a trailer from Schaumburg and sticking to the speed limit.

blkgp2000

Regular
Oct 23, 2008
We were thinking of going to the grand opening.

Instead of taking the expressway, I thought it would be cool to head over to Old Rt. 66 and take that instead. On Google it looks like that road goes all the way to Pontiac but i'm not sure what kind of condition the road is in and if it goes through any bad areas. It looks like it is mostly corn fields between here and there though.

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan

Instead of taking the expressway, I thought it would be cool to head over to Old Rt. 66 and take that instead. On Google it looks like that road goes all the way to Pontiac but i'm not sure what kind of condition the road is in and if it goes through any bad areas. It looks like it is mostly corn fields between here and there though.

The road is pretty shitty down by me, ud be better off taking 55

Shibby50

TCG Elite Member
Mar 30, 2008
Braidwood, IL

This road goes right through my town. And I'm already about halfway there. So def. in to meet up and cruise the rest of the way.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Took some pics of the work in progress from over the weekend. Sorry for the blurry phone pics. We put my uncle's (aka Mark's dad, aka blakbeard) 1968 GTO in the museum. He bought it new in 1968 :eek:

In 1968 the GTO was Motor Trend's Car of the Year, and his car will be surrounded by original dealership posters with that acknowledgment from 1968. Along with a TV of road tests and GTO commercials.

The creator of the museum showed us around and it's going to be pretty awesome once it's done. There will be 15 cars, including the 1970 Judge chassis you see here. The mayor of Pontiac is a former engineer who's building a rig that will suspend the body over the chassis. They're restoring the Judge as it's in the museum so if you visit more than once the car will be at a different stage of restoration.

There are thousands of manuals, magazines and Pontiac literature in the library that came from his personal collection. As did the wall of oil cans and Pontiac model cars, some built, and most are are still original packaging.

Can't wait to visit once it's done.

:fy:

IMG_0326%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0327%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0324%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0328%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0325%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0332%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0333%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0322%5B1%5D.JPG

IMG_0323%5B1%5D.JPG

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
It would have been a really nice cruise had the GTO not had it's issues.

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing everything when it's done.

I will try and post the video Sharon took of my dad and your dad driving. It's a very short clip and kind of shaky.

I was really hoping your dad could have been in your car for the whole trip. He could have taken some badass pictures of the car in motion. It was great seeing it on the road.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I got some video with my Flip HD of the GTO on the road.

There's one video of my dad recording from inside the GTO and telling your dad to have me get on it while I was driving next to them. I, of course, obliged :rofl: I'll see if I can get those vids from him.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info