• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Low oil level

blkgp2000

Regular
Oct 23, 2008
Well, here it is. My first post about my ls1 engine.

I have kind of a mysterious low oil level issue. I bought my 01 T/A in December and in late January the change oil light came on. It looked like the oil was changed in November at the dealer so i checked the oil level and it was just below the hash marks (not sure what the tech term for it is). Anyway, i decided to just have my oil changed since i'm not sure what kind of oil was in it anyway.

So, last weekend, after about 2500 miles, my Low oil level light came on. I checked the oil and it was about 2 qts low. There are no oil spots on my driveway so I took it to my mechanic and he could not see any oil leaks anywhere. Actually, he couldn't say enough how clean this car is.

Could the low oil level just have something to do with how long it has sat between owners or could there be a more serious problem? The engine runs great and like i said, there are apparently no leaks.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

blkgp2000

Regular
Oct 23, 2008
How many miles? I know of a few that burn 2-3 quarts between changes lol

The car has 29,800 miles on it and is completely stock. I bet those that burn 2-3 quarts are not stock engines :D

Welcome to your ls1! If you're beating it up, oil consumption is pretty normal. Check your levels regularly. If you keep letting it get empty enough to turn on the light, you will quite likely spin a bearing.

Thanks Eagle! I don't think my car will ever be anything like yours or some others on TCG.

I don't really beat it up. At least i don't think I do. I guess I will just have to keep checking the oil level. Hey, gives me a reason to go under the hood more often :smile:

I just wondered if LS1s were known to burn oil like this. I can't compare it to my wife's WS6 because mine is a daily driver and hers just goes out in good weather and basically sits most of the winter.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I knew i couldn't be the only one with this problem. Thanks for all the input.

Why am i not surprised that GM says this is "normal" and "acceptable".

I will just have to get into a routine of checking my oil level.

In the meantime, i'm going to read up on those catch cans.

I bought a cheap one off eBay and stuffed it with stainless steel wool inside of a stocking. Aka cheap baffling. It catches a ton of water, aka condensation, with some oil mixed in. Looks like chocolate milk!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info