• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Trembling in 4th gear ?

Gav'sPurpleZ

If you fail to plan, you're planning to fail
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
hey guys,
took barney out today since i replaced the battery....didnt notice anything on the way to my parents house ( about 8 miles away )
BUT
on the way home cruising in 4th gear ( automatic ), around 55-60mph and low rpm....i notice when i gave the car gas it felt like trembling towards the rear of the car. i would like to think its just getting the cob webs out but this did not feel normal.

any thoughts ? it didnt feel fuel or spark related....when i hammer the car it still goes.
trans ? rear end ?

wtf:dunno:

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
u joint has been replaced @ the rear end...and wouldnt it be bad at all times ? off the line ?
i drove through my subdivision at 30mph and stop signs and didnt notice anything.

turk,
i put it in drive ( as opposed to over drive ) and it did the same thing, but you can tell the rpms were lower.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
u joint has been replaced @ the rear end...and wouldnt it be bad at all times ? off the line ?
i drove through my subdivision at 30mph and stop signs and didnt notice anything.

turk,
i put it in drive ( as opposed to over drive ) and it did the same thing, but you can tell the rpms were lower.

My ranger had a tremble/vibration when I first bought it with the 4 cylinder years ago. Only happened between 25-30mph and only in 3rd gear with the auto. Replaced both U-joints and it went away, I thought it should be all the time too if it was a U-joint but apparently it isn't always the case.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
F-bodies have a 1 piece driveshaft so no carrier bearing. They do eat pinion bearings a lot. A solid crush sleeve helps them live longer. A bad pinion bearing at first is like a growling rumble, bearley heard or felt. It gets louder and vibrates more, as time goes on.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL

turk,

so, as i think about it some more.... the u joint in the steel d/s was changed
when i bought the used aluminum d/s i left the existing u joint on because it didnt have any play.

so i guess this could be the culprit. :hs:

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
I have been having this issue as well...... however on my camaro the passanger side rear shock is totally blown out and the vibration is coming only from the right rear from 50-62 mph so im guessing the shock has something to do with mine possible.

Gav'sPurpleZ

TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
Mar 3, 2008
Pingree Grove IL
should the trans be in neutral in order for me to check for play ?
i had the car on ramps yesterday, but the trans in park. d/s felt pretty solid to me.

i did notice some dampness on the yolk and some fluid on the left side rear seat tub. odd thing is, the fluid was an orange-ish color. checked diff and theres fluid ( gear oil is that greenish color anyways )

i did notice that the bottom of the stock cover is slightly bent...i sprayed the shit out of everything with brake cleaner and will recheck.

anyone heard good/bad reviews on proform diff covers ?
speedinc has one for 129.99 ( free shipping ) and it comes with fluid and mounting bolts.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info