• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Coolant Leak HELP

SilentShado

303 HP+315 ft lbs = 1 GXP with 2 bald bridgestones
Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
I've got a 2005 isuzu ascender. Which is basically a rebadged gmc envoy. It has the 5.3 vortec engine in it. I started it yesterday to move it and my accesory drive belt started squeeking. Thinking it was from the snow I kinda shrugged it off. Minutes later I smell coolant. I pop the hood and see coolant what appears to be dripping from the T-stat housing. My question is I have heard that the water pump seals go bad and leak but would this appear by the t-stat housing. Is there a way to tell if it is the waterpump gasket, or the t-stat housing gasket without ripping everything down?

Thanks

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I'm guessing water pump more than housing... but I'd say do the easy fix of dropping in a replacement t-stat (there shouldnt be a gasket, its an o-ring'd housing IIRC) and see if that fixes your issue. You might want to check to see if your antifreeze is mixed properly for this weather too...

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
what knda milage? id guess its the bushing/seal on the large pully, and at that point you have to replace the unit.
id have to check to make sure its the right one, but i think i have a new water pump assembaly. theyre kinda expensive, so brace yourself.

if you need somone to do the work give me a call.

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
what knda milage? id guess its the bushing/seal on the large pully, and at that point you have to replace the unit.
id have to check to make sure its the right one, but i think i have a new water pump assembaly. theyre kinda expensive, so brace yourself.

if you need somone to do the work give me a call.

THe truck has 76000 miles. The leak doesn't look like it's leaking from the pulley it looks like it is dripping from the housing for the t-stat that's why I was thinking gasket for t-stat housing, but I heard it's an o ring t-stat. I'm not sure if it's leaking from the pump to this point of the housing. Thanks for the offer of doing the work, but I don't have a problem doing the work myself but I just need to get better at diagnosing the issue. Once I find the issue it's a piece of cake.

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
Here is a quick picture that I found. This is not my engine just a clear shot of what I got.

engine.jpg

SilentShado

Apr 3, 2009
Mchenry, IL
FML. I replaced the T-stat and the gasket seeing that it all comes as an assembly. I get it put back in fill the radiator and res. tank and start the truck. I put the heat to max to get the coolant to flow through the heater core so I can refill the radiator, and now I have no heat. It got past the middle part of the gauge where it has never gone past before and still ice cold at the vents. To top it off it's still leaking, but not at the t-stat I think it is running from the back of the pully like das said and running towards the t-stat. Any suggestions?

sounds like the coolant lines are frozen. Park it in a warm garage over night and check the antifreeze.

if that is not an option just let the engine idle till the warmth of the engine helps warm all the fluids. Keep the heater running full blast. Keep the motor running until you feel heat coming from the vents

The reason I think the coolant is frozen is because the water temp gauge is reading hot but the heat coming from the vent is cold. This is a classic case of frozen coolant, and this has happened to me a time or two. Given the current out side temps I would say this is very probable.

Junk86

I'm here now.
Apr 8, 2009
sounds like the coolant lines are frozen. Park it in a warm garage over night and check the antifreeze.

if that is not an option just let the engine idle till the warmth of the engine helps warm all the fluids. Keep the heater running full blast. Keep the motor running until you feel heat coming from the vents

The reason I think the coolant is frozen is because the water temp gauge is reading hot but the heat coming from the vent is cold. This is a classic case of frozen coolant, and this has happened to me a time or two. Given the current out side temps I would say this is very probable.

I don't think so. If he replaced the T stat..and just filled the radiator and didn't burp the air out the system. (LS motors are tricky with this) it will have an air pocket that causes false temp readings and no heat. You MUST bleed the air out like Eagle said.

BTW...if its coming from under the pulley..its the weep hole built in the water pump for when the seal goes bad. ( you can't see it..its under the pulley).....thats GM's way of telling you its bad before the shaft freezes up and breaks...Lol. Most all water pumps are that way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info