• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

couple questions for the LS1 owners

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
im slowly buying parts for the T/A since im a cheap ass, im not looking to spend a fortune on all brand name parts. as long as it good in quality or almost gain the same power as the brand name i'm ok with that.

1. what long tube headers you guys use?
2. is it worth doing a true dual setup or just change my stock pipe to 3" and install a cut out?

I run Kooks. Search for a used set on LS1Tech.com. I haven't used any others but can tell you the Kooks slipped in easily and have great ground clearance.

These two do not go together, even used they will probably be very pricey.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
There's a used set selling for $525 (shipped) on tech right now. More than Pacesetters but less than some of the other options. I don't know if that's what the OP considers cheap or what's in his budget because he didn't list a price, but it's dirt cheap for Kooks.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
There's a used set selling for $525 (shipped) on tech right now. More than Pacesetters but less than some of the other options. I don't know if that's what the OP considers cheap or what's in his budget because he didn't list a price, but it's dirt cheap for Kooks.

That is dirt cheap for a set of Kooks. If I were him I would be all over that.

YoushallgoFo

TCG Elite Member
Dec 26, 2008
I use LPP headers and Y. The car saw about the same performance increase as my friend who also bought Pacesetters and paid less money for them, although mine were stainless, and I do drive my car in the winter. Pacesetters have a weird Y pipe tho, As far as sound goes i'm told getting a merge really cleans up the sound.

KaMaSuTrA

Resident Sexi Man
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago IL
Never thought I would say this but you might want to look at a pair of OBX headers. I shit you not, they did a mock up of a Kooks styled headers setup that newer Camaro guys have been running with great success. The price on these things make them a steal! Stock oem gasket is recommended if you decide to go with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180603787614

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
I use LPP headers and Y. The car saw about the same performance increase as my friend who also bought Pacesetters and paid less money for them, although mine were stainless, and I do drive my car in the winter. Pacesetters have a weird Y pipe tho, As far as sound goes i'm told getting a merge really cleans up the sound.

LPPs were the direction I was gonna go this summer. Hows the clearance on that? My TA is lowered so thats always an issue Im going to have to look into.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
im slowly buying parts for the T/A since im a cheap ass, im not looking to spend a fortune on all brand name parts. as long as it good in quality or almost gain the same power as the brand name i'm ok with that.

2. is it worth doing a true dual setup or just change my stock pipe to 3" and install a cut out?

If you're looking for cheap and decent... coated Pacesetters. Don't even upgrade to 3" if you're going to run a cutout.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
SINGLE 4" AAY? THAT IS HONEST TO GOD THE BEST WAY TO GO ON A 4TH GEN F-BOD. AND YES GM GASKETS ARE ALWAYS A GOOD IDEA

Yea the piping under the car is huge. I used the kooks gaskets that were supplied the first time on the GTO and they leaked in multiple places instantly. Put the GM gaskets on and zero probs...... and even now when I did a head swap on the camaro and the headers were already warped to another head they still dont leak.

nemesis

Addict
Aug 28, 2007
chitown
If you're looking for cheap and decent... coated Pacesetters. Don't even upgrade to 3" if you're going to run a cutout.

well i end up picking up a LS6 intake today instead of headers... oh well next pay check will go toward headers. i'm gonna settle for pacesetters headers just cuz it's in my budget range. for under $500 i can get coated pacesetters or $300ish for uncoated. why wouldn't you want to go 3" with a cut out? heads, cam, and rear end upgrade are in my modding list.

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010

i used the ebay headers and pacesetter y-pipe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PONT...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

total cost for both was bout 300. (heavy 6.0 over on ls1tech had the cheapest prices on ypipes.)

get the front end 1.5 feet off the ground and header installation is cake.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info