• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GTO owners step in please!!!!

Wessel

The Paint Corrector
Oct 25, 2007
Just looked at the GTO I've had my eye on and everything was awesome but the power steering rack looks like it has been getting hit by the header and has been leaking for awhile. its leaking from where both line go into the rack. It has kooks headers on it and has a mild cam. Please help guys! is this a common problem???? easy fix????

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
IDK about GTO's, but kooks makes some nice stuff, not like its some eBay headers where you are pretty much guaranteed fitment issues. The dealer is not willing to fix this issue? Did you put it on a lift or something? On a side note, see if they can tell you who tuned it, If modern muscle did, you can factor that into negotiations.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
alright here we go...... I did everything to my gto cept basically pulling the motor myself. When u install the headers the rack has to come down a little.... which is easy. And you have to disconnect the lines to the rack and the steering shaft since this goes inbetween the headers. If it is leaking from the connections to the rack then they may have been cross threaded going back in which is easy to do. If it is leaking from the line from rubbing on the header well then you gotta route a new line which isnt fun at all

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
chances are whoever installed the headers ripped the o-rings that sit on those lines, or they arent tight enough.
im not sure how the headers would be hitting the rack. kooks is very high quality. mine dont come anywhere near hitting the rack...maybe the car has a bad motor mount?

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
Just as everyone as has said, more than likely either the threaded nut for the lines that run into the rack are stripped, the O-ring somehow was removed/broken/whatever, or one or both lines broke. I just installed my headers over the weekend with a buddy from CHC and that was the one thing that sucks about a header install, moving that god damn power steering rack. If you take your time and finesse it, you'll be fine, but it seems like the last owner either said "fuck it" or over time it happened.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info