• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

need help again..

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
well I swapped the pushrods and rockers off the old 4.8 onto it and the noise is still there. If there is an exhaust leak I know it isn't causing the tick b/c I've had it buttoned up tight and it was still there. The next step is changing the cam, timing chain and oil pump..

any other suggestions would be great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLkw8hCVHYg

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
was the flexplate new when you put the engine in? any possibility of it being cracked? that's kinda what it sounds like, though it's really hard to tell through a video. either that or one of the tq converter bolts isnt tight.
did you have the oil pan off before the engine went in?

i think localizing the noise should be your next move, before replacing more parts. could you get a mechanics stethoscope?

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
was the flexplate new when you put the engine in? any possibility of it being cracked? that's kinda what it sounds like, though it's really hard to tell through a video. either that or one of the tq converter bolts isnt tight.
did you have the oil pan off before the engine went in?

i think localizing the noise should be your next move, before replacing more parts. could you get a mechanics stethoscope?

No I bought a used flexplate with spacer, but the bolt were new. Yea, pulled the pan to check the bottom side b4 it went in and put a new gasket on. Everything looked decent down there. We're trying to figure out the origin first, with it being loud like that it vibrates through alot though

bearing? i know jdhedman had a ticking problem he couldnt figure out for forever. Pretty sure it ended up being one.

God i hope not, the thought of having the block gone through came up b4 i started the build but I decided not to... I'd have have to kick my own ass if it was :(

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
No i didn't. I got them from DTB_LS1 on here, and they looked fairly well.. so I trusted they were good, which i hope they are :(

I would drive but at the same time I don't want to drive the truck, considering i don't know what is exactly wrong with it.. The AFR is on que from when we were out the one night tuning. Its sucks being so far from everyone.

Here's that vid that was requested, a walk around at idle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M9vUzCRhc0

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info