• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

what oil?

Intel

TCG Elite Member
Oct 28, 2009
Palatine
Really putting HD oil on the bearings over assembly lube? Wouldn't the oil just disapear and you get a dry start with the bearings?

I just used the cheapest dino oil for the first 5k miles that doesn't have cleansers in them but this is on an older VG motor on my nsisan.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
I'd say anything with a high zinc content. My engine is notorious for spinning bearings. I personally use shell rotella but it's rather thick at 15w40.

I know many companies make a break in oil with high zinc content to help with initial bearing wear. I have zero experience with ls1 engines and bearings though so I'd take ry@n's advice as he's been successful with his

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008
You need a true racing oil if you want higher zinc content.

Brad penn
VR1
Hogsnot

The zddp additive has no more % of zinc than most off the shelf oils these days. The damn EPA has stripped the oil of all the good stuff it needs. That being said in the recent years ALL diesel oil has come under fire from the EPA as well and no longer has the benefits that it use to as a sudo racing oil.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
You need a true racing oil if you want higher zinc content.

Brad penn
VR1
Hogsnot

The zddp additive has no more % of zinc than most off the shelf oils these days. The damn EPA has stripped the oil of all the good stuff it needs. That being said in the recent years ALL diesel oil has come under fire from the EPA as well and no longer has the benefits that it use to as a sudo racing oil.
Yea shell rotella synthetic is now called T6 and has less zinc content then the previous blend. It's still higher then conventional gas oil.

I personally stick with the 5W30. I would not buy any high priced racing oil until you get all the junk out of that motor. The 5W30 oil was chosen for the LS1 because of the high tolerances within the engine. Using anything thicker will not lubricate as well.

Again use a cheep oil for cleaning the engine out, also get yourself some of those powerful surgical magnets and tape them to the outside of your oil filter. This will help get some of the junk out.

Drain your oil onto a large door magnet like a pizza delivery guy has. Every time you change your oil scrap the crud off and start over until you don't see anything else left in the oil. once everything is nice and clean put the good stuff in.

That's my best advice, I hope it helps

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info