• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Think you're smart? Step in. My LS1 issue...

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ok folks.

I'm having problems with my TA around 4900-5200 RPM. It feels like its blowing out the spark, but I don't think that's what it's really doing. Cooler weather has been running ~14psi.

So far I have:

1. new TR7 plugs gapped down to .022 from .027
2. replaced all 8 coil packs (THANKS TOM! :bowdown)
3. replaced all 8 wires w/MSD 8.5mm
4. adjusted the tune here and there... no change
5. taken the 2step out - no change
6. watched fuel pressure - stays steady no drop ~52-54psi (base is 38, total depends on boost psi w/1:1 FPR)

Something tells me its injector related. It would SEEM to me that it only happens when injector msec is >16.0. See below for an example:

ss.jpg

You can see in the above image that RPM flattens out for a short bit while it works through the problem area, then inj msec values drop <16.1 and it comes back and pulls like a SOB again as if nothing is wrong.

I'm at a loss and Brandon has been booked up for days... so I'm looking for other ideas/suggestions on how to troubleshoot this.

Solve my problem. Please.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Sounds like a fuel issue to me, probably not enough pressure, I'd set base pressure at 45 or more, and go 1:1 with boost...what kind of injectors?

If they are a delphi style pintle with a disc, then that's part of the problem. If it's the squirter Lucas style, then it's kosher. I like the Delphi style for the streetability, but they aren't as good for boost when you get more than 10psi and if you don't crank out the FP then this can happen.

When I was running 15-16psi of boost, I'd see 65-70psi at the rail, 52-54 sounds kind of low to me? (stock injector bodies are pressure tested to 125psi)

I am not familiar with the tuning parameters in the f-body, but similar things can happen if Tq management is still on in a few cells. It's enough to drop 1-3 injectors if it hits set limits. Ususally it happens fast enough that it won't show up in a WB, and you won't see it unless yo are monitoring each injector iduvidually.

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
IDK, random spew of thought... o2 sensors? I know they aren't gonna be perfectly uniform, that is impossible, but there are 2 random peaks, one small one kinda large, maybe one is fritzing out or its just seeing something we cant see or smell.... weird though because inj msec is dead in both banks... plus I don't remember if the pcm reads o2's at wot anyway..

IDK just some ramblings...:dunno:

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
My guess, it's spark blow-out man, when boost spikes aka when the injectors are way up there in the msec's is when the motor is in FULL load, full pissed off everything. This is always when spark blowout is experienced first, after that it's almost always valve springs or valve float, which you better not have especially with that build. Either way, i'm going with spark blowout, especially with the cool nights like this, it's the #1 thing people complain about on turbo cars.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
.022? How can you even gap .022? That's a tiny ass gap in that case the gap is too small, i'm surprised you aren't turning the ground-strap into a glowing hot glo-plug. That's too small man, i would go .030-.035, if you're blowing that out your ignition system blows ass.

MikeyLikesIt

PHEV Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2009
Downers Grove
It sounds like a problem we experienced in the SRT world when they started hitting real high horsepower. They referred to it as the 6xxx stumble.

It was a problem of too much oil pressure/volume in the head. It caused lifter pump up issues. They installed a valve in the head and it limited the oil pressure in the head. I'll have to google that to see if they have anything like that it in the lsx world.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
.022? How can you even gap .022? That's a tiny ass gap in that case the gap is too small, i'm surprised you aren't turning the ground-strap into a glowing hot glo-plug. That's too small man, i would go .030-.035, if you're blowing that out your ignition system blows ass.

Small gaps like that are not that un-common. With a MSD 6AL and coil I have run gaps as low as .22. But usually at 25#+ boost. I have seen a few Ford applications where a small gap was needed at lower boost levels. But they do not have a strong ignitions like the LS motors.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info