• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Well that didnt take long - noise from the trans area

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Got it home last night and I have a strange yet faint noise coming from the trans area when its in drive or reverse. :fu:

I got on it from the blinking red light on the way to my house last night... in the cool air the car felt the strongest I've felt it since the TH400 swap. It really pulled on the top of 2nd... :wtc:

Anyways... it sounds normal in park or neutral. Best I can do to describe the noise is this: a faint exhaust rattle type noise from within the tq converter or trans. Didn't notice any driveability issues yet.

So yea. Guess I forgot to knock on wood when I was complaining about the converter being undersized for the car last night. Hoping its just the converter.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ah, i dont think this will be a big deal. Just talked to the converter shop. They said that I just need to get the converter out and bring it in. They'll use what they can from the existing converter to get me back on the road.

Worse case, its $550 for a new converter that'll work well beyond my goals. That price isn't bad at all. 1-2 days to turn it around once I have it at the shop. :fy:

http://raceconverters.com FTW!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
wonder why that place has converters at half the price of everyone else.

I have three friends that use that place. They REFUSE to try some thing different. All three have had major issues. Their stall is never close to what they say it will be. One guy has been through three converters in his low 9's 540ci combo. He blew one up to pieces and damaged another one. The other guys sees 30% slip up top.

You get what you pay for. A $500 converter is not going to last in your car Eagle. Not at your power levels. You should have a Reactor converter (what ever they call their good converter). It is like $900-$1000. A converter is one of those areas where you get what you pay for. You gotta pay to play. I can't even imagine they said you could run the cheap converter at the power levels you car is at on low boost.

Oh well. Good luck man!

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
Ok, valid experience then. I mean I told the guy all about the car and my power goals. Maybe he was just trying to bait and switch me just to get me in the door and then upsell me to their biggest converter (the one you referenced)...

But honestly, I'd rather just get something that's going to work.

Any recommendations?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info