• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

lsx?..... and not the 4banger ls in the honda..

S

ssal

yes i said it not the one in the honda.. acura=honda to me... im talking about the v8 blocks. well which ls (ls1 ls2 and so on) is the best bang for the buck? which one is the most reliable stock and maybe some minor mods?? more rather which one is the most reliable? meaning like can it go over 100K miles on the odometer with no problems. what are some of the common problems with this block? just doing some research...my block which is at 177K its a import engine.. the only major things replaced was the water, power, steering pumps. alt, radiator and battery. all in the last 2 years so im thinking it should be fine for a long ass time for my car. at the same time thought to myself it does got some mileage.. so what are my options for down the road of possible swaps.

S

ssal

sorry i dont own a honda.... haha.. used to but not anymore..
i said not the one in honda.... the ones in the vettes, gtos, camaros and such
note big hint i have a 1uzfe in my car.... meaning i have a v8 right now... its okai right now in speed but needs a bit more.. :p swap options are 3uzfe, maybe ls(x), or stick with the 1uz with some goodies inside.. still along time from now but doing research so when time does come ill be well informed..

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
2jz.jpg

^ Agreed. The LS1 is the "Honda Civic" of V8's. Almost an endless selection of aftermarket parts. It's not like some motors where if you want a part, your choice is manufacturer A or B. With the LS1, you have a choice of manufacturer A-Z, and each company makes a dozen different versions of the part you want. LS1 are proven to make very impressive NA horsepower, but can also be set up to handle boosted or N2O applications rather easily. My buddy got his NA Ls1 trans am to pull 11.1's and 11.2's at the track. Now he has a 408 stroker motor that runs 10.75s. He's also in low 9's with his 400hp custom direct port nitrous.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
sorry i dont own a honda.... haha.. used to but not anymore..
i said not the one in honda.... the ones in the vettes, gtos, camaros and such
note big hint i have a 1uzfe in my car.... meaning i have a v8 right now... its okai right now in speed but needs a bit more.. :p swap options are 3uzfe, maybe ls(x), or stick with the 1uz with some goodies inside.. still along time from now but doing research so when time does come ill be well informed..

I know what you said, but you made no effort to say what CAR you wanted to stuff it into.

my block which is at 177K its a import engine.. the only major things replaced was the water, power, steering pumps. alt, radiator and battery. all in the last 2 years so im thinking it should be fine for a long ass time for my car. at the same time thought to myself it does got some mileage.. so what are my options for down the road of possible swaps.

You are talking about high mileage import engine, common repairs, and considering a swap, like 99% of the time that sounds like something a honda owner would say.

Keep the SC400 motor, Period. A few of us on here had a friend that had one that had over 230K on the stock motor and still ran strong, Freaking indestructible as far as reliability goes. I always wondered what those things ran, been to the track in it?

Last edited:
another thing to keep in mind about the ls1's. they've been around so long, and are proven reliable. take care of it, and an ls1 motor will last well over 100K. They're beasts for reliability, power, and longevity when cared for properly. Also, keep in mind when my buddy got rid of his ls1 that he'd been taking to the drag strip for 6 years...the whole time spraying it with up to a 250 shot of nitrous...he ONLY put Royal purple motor oil in it. when he took out the ls1 block, he took it apart for shits and giggles....there were NO signs of abnormal or harsh wear inside the cylinders...even after spraying it for 6 years. He couldn't believe it, royal purple makes shit last FOREVER.

S

ssal

I know what you said, but you made no effort to say what CAR you wanted to stuff it into.

You are talking about high mileage import engine, common repairs, and considering a swap, like 99% of the time that sounds like something a honda owner would say.

Keep the SC400 motor, Period. A few of us on here had a friend that had one that had over 230K on the stock motor and still ran strong, Freaking indestructible as far as reliability goes. I always wondered what those things ran, been to the track in it?

notice i said i wouldn't do a swap for a while... i know my engine will last for awhile... rather a long ass time. i have all my maintenance done as of right now. why would i do a swap when i had done all that maintenance? but there will be a time where it will need a rebuild or such. the cost of labor and parts for my car are rather expensive so i find doing a swap and doing maintenance on either a "Toyota" or LSX engine will be cheaper in the long run. the reason why i didn't say what car i wanted to stuff it into was because it doesn't matter really. its because I'm looking at the block itself. i know they have been around for a long ass time. but there has been quite a few versions out. so of course i was curious to see what people thought of the engines available. the reason why i dont want a 2jz is because everyone and there mothers are doing that swap. I'm kinda fond of Na.. but that's a personal preference. i dont need ridiculous amounts of hp but at the same time enough hp for me to play with and keeping up with the times. of course i dont race.. unless u count racing yourself haha.. but really i dont race my car but i do speed occasionally. well what i consider speeding.

o btw I'm currently using amsoil for my oil :p I'm quite happy with it.
after trying the other oils.. though i have yet to try royal purple.

hahahahah :rofl: :rofl:

That's fucking hilarious.

Back on topic, has anyone done a LSX swap into this platform? I know the engine is a little whore, but has it made it to the SC's?

as far as i know no one has done the swap...

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Do not take any offense to this, but unless you are a skilled welder and have some decent experience with wiring, a swap that has not been done before may be in a bit over your head.

I'd recommend if you want something a bit faster, and reliable etc etc, when your current motor finally gives up the ghost get it bored out a bit maybe? bigger pistons, etc, Build it up since you already have it.

S

ssal

again apparently u didnt read how its more worth while in the long run to have a swap. it doesnt have to be a LSX. my other option is a 3uzfe.. which has been done. a 3uzfe is a tundra 4.7 block. the reason i say more worth while in the long run is this. i said my car is finally done with maintenance, i calculated how much i have spent. so far about 3.5K not including oil changes. okai u want me to bore out my block and such. the one rebuild kit i know is available for me its gonna come me 3K+ labor. by that time again ill need to do the same maintenance all over again for 3K pretty much. you have to realize there arent to many options for my engine. i am getting more options slowly. having a "lexus"... parts are gonna be expensive even though it say toyota on it. the design flaw i saw with my engine was one is the cost of parts, and the second is the location of the alt, power steering and water pump. you have to rip open the engine to get to those parts. so automatically i found out it was roughly a 5hour job on average. so back to the discussion on why its more reasonable to do a LSX swap or a tundra swap instead.. you kinda get the idea. the cost in the long run will actually be cheaper. if i want that power bump i could get in a LSX. it would cost me more because then ill either need to do a torque converter swap. to get one stronger or swap it out to get a th400 with an adapter plate. the adapter plate last time i saw was about 5bills if not more. parts arent cheap for my car just yet. so lets factor that into the rebuild new parts for maintenance, new trans to hold the power, and a stroker kit to get near the hp of a LSX the cost of the stroker kit is unknown for now. im guessing it will be about 4K because it will need stronger internals. a rebuild kit for my car to handle some hp costs 3K. so lets add that up 3K(maintenance)+4K(stroker kit)+ lets say i found a th400 trans for $500. add the adapter plate which i believe in the neighborhood of $500. we got ourselves about 8K+ labor(for stroker kit and trans). so far i got a qoute from a company that they said they can do a swap for 2500+parts+ labor... im assuming the $2500 is for a ls1. i know they are capable of doing it because i saw a 240 with the swap done and another one in the process of getting one done. i knew what i was getting myself into when i bought my car. i knew its gonna cost me to own it... and i love my car to death.. though i know its not pretty yet... one day it will be. but i love my car just might need a new heart one day. so thats why im looking at options. i think of it this way you have to research alot before u get a swap done. especially when not to many people or none have done it. thats why im researching the lil quirks and such about the LSX. i know cost down the line will be a hell of a lot cheaper than my current engine. i have accepted it along time ago but that doesnt mean i cant find better ways to find a better route for my car. which will be cheaper reliable and better performance. the engine in my car was designed well.. really well...my engine is still going..running great. it can still do 120-140 no problem with a touch of smoke due to carbon build up being burned off haha. well at around 135-140 haha... but one has to ask themselves if i could find a engine as good if not better and in my case cheaper. why not look into it. 8K+ for a stroked 1uzfe or who knows maybe a lil less for a ls1 or maybe a lil more. you gotta ask yourself is it worth it? to me it sounds worth it.

S

ssal

yeah i know!!! chinatown meet part deux!!! yeah been busy working but i work in a more time flexible enviroment soo yeah.. the carhas more dings on it from people who dont know how to park and hit and runs... grrr!!! but the good thing is its dropped with some semi shiny rims haha... needs carwash again haha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info