• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Need advice, which 2 step to use

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
not in my truck, another lsx car. Guy doesnt have a line lock or trans brake so it was a pain in the ass and had to be creative to make it work.

I have it wired to be engaged only when the car is in first gear via a microswitch (kills the activation signal to the 2step) , and only when the clutch is depressed enough to disengage the cruise control switch through a relay. This keeps it from being engaged in any gear but first, you can still engine brake on the street without it engaging, and you can still slip the clutch on your launch.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
if you wire it to the line lock, you will have to stage with that on too. You will be able to concentrate on the light a lot better and just need to release a button in order to react versus 2 footing it with the auto. Lingenfelter makes a MPH switch you can use to disable it too if you dont want to have it wired with the line lock. Say it hits 5mph or whatever you set, then it disengages.

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
LPE.. doo it!

cake to hook up.. works great once you know what RPM to launch at.. just set it and forget it..

I haven't looked into any of the new 2-steps/launch controllers- but with the older ones you need to have some way to disengage it after you launch.. so set it on a switch and turn it off- or buy an MPH switch (mine is only engaged when the clutch is in, but because of this, i get backfires between shifts)

but my confusion i have is from lack of knowledge on auto's, but doesnt this do the same thing as a converter?!

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Look at the LPE LNC-003. A 3 step is really helpful when staging the car. When you bump into the first yellow staging beam on the brakes the lower rpm helps load the motor/turbo with out over powering the brakes. Then when you bump into the second bulb you hit the trans brake the higher rpm kicks in. This will help get a quicker spool.

I don't understand...why not just get a trans brake?

A 2 or 3 step will help load the motor/turbo to make boost quicker. And many times cars leave the 2 step below the converter stall speed. Helps with the "hit" the drive train sees.

And usually with a auto trans once you come into boost the motor produces more torque. When the motor makes more torque the stall speed increases. So you basically have a infinity adjustable stall speed. One of the great benefits of an auto and a turbo.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
LPE.. doo it!

cake to hook up.. works great once you know what RPM to launch at.. just set it and forget it..

I haven't looked into any of the new 2-steps/launch controllers- but with the older ones you need to have some way to disengage it after you launch.. so set it on a switch and turn it off- or buy an MPH switch (mine is only engaged when the clutch is in, but because of this, i get backfires between shifts)

but my confusion i have is from lack of knowledge on auto's, but doesnt this do the same thing as a converter?!

You should probably figure out a way to disable that. I just installed one and used a microswitch on the shifter so it is only enabled while the car is in first gear.

A torque converter just allows the engine and transmission to slip below a certain RPM. The converter can be designed to stall at a certain speed depending on your application. Its the equivalent of slipping a clutch, except its a set stall speed. Converters/autos are great because of shift extension as well, which will never happen with a manual. Say you have a 3500 rpm converter, car shifts 1st to 2nd @ 7000 rpms, the converter will still slip past the stall speed (due to it making more power at higher rpm) when it gets into 2nd gear, keeping you in the power band.

does a trans break have anything to do with RPM tho?

Yes, and no. A trans brake engages both first gear and reverse at the same time, so the car will not move. The converter will also stall to its maximum speed when you have the t-brake on too, so that is where RPM comes in. You can use a 2 step on an auto to keep the RPMs down when using the t-brake or even just brake stalling it.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
Yes, and no. A trans brake engages both first gear and reverse at the same time, so the car will not move. The converter will also stall to its maximum speed when you have the t-brake on too, so that is where RPM comes in. You can use a 2 step on an auto to keep the RPMs down when using the t-brake or even just brake stalling it.

That is true in a n/a, nitrous or most supercharger applications. But with a turbo car if the turbo can spool on the converter it will usually stall past the "flash stall" speed. So if the stall changes with boost and rpm you use the 2/3 step to set the launch rpm. That is unless the converter is WAY to tight or the turbo can't spool because of the tune or exhaust wheel / housing a/r. That could cause the motor not power threw the converter. Or if the motor just isn't make enough torque to get through the converter stall speed. I don't think that will be Eagle's case though. haha

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info