• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Educate me on LS1's and cams and whathaveyou

Alright so I'm sort of a noob when it comes to LS1's. I know a little bit about them and have been doing a little reading on LS1 tech but I was looking to get some opinions from some people on here seeing as there are a lot of LSx cars. Long story short, me and some friends are going to take on a project most likely this summer. We're going to be doing an LS1 and T56 swap into another vehicle but what's the fun of just putting in a stock LS1? SO, my buddy who owns the car and will be buying the engine and trans wants to put a cam in it. He said he wants it to be a pretty aggressive cam. I've been looking up some cams that were in the cam sticky on LS1 Tech and this one caught my eye the most (FM14 Cam 232/234 .600/.600 110) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0QyFgDREk

I looked up some of the LFE cams and they sound pretty nasty too. Honestly though, I don't even know where to begin. Anyone got any other cam suggestions? Also, what kind of valvetrain and other mods should he be running if he's going to get an aggressive cam like that? Thanks in advance peoples.

G

Gundlach9

FM14 is a proven cam, especially considering your aggressive build. I would also suggest taking a look at Vengeance Racing's vindicator cam (240/244 .605/.596 112 lsa), Thunder Racing's TRex cam (242/248 .608/.612 - 110 lsa) and LG Motorsports G5X3 (.600/.610 112 lsa) to name a few popular "off the shelf" cams. But I would say none of these will give you quite what you're looking for like a custom grind. Call up Comp and let them know what you want. Also, remember that your lsa plays into how well (or not) your motor will idle - go lower if you want that chop. One thing to note is that higher duration cams typical don't have the street manners that "smaller" cams do, if that's important to you. Just my $.02

CamaroSS

Banned
May 23, 2007
Futral cams are quite good. i had a f13 in my car previously and loved it. those cams are pretty well known on ls1tech, thats where i learned about them and lots of people like them over there. Alan, the owner, is an awesome guy to deal with, talked to him a few different times and hes been a great help with setups and everything else ive asked.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I was waitin for you to chime in, we'll definitely have to start looking into custom cams on top of the other ones. I don't know how aggressive we're going to get with this but from the way it sounds he wants to go balls to the wall with this setup. It should be a very nice setup once it's all done (if he actually goes through with it haha).

Call and speak to a reputable source for custom cams and listen to all the questions they ask. There are so many questions that an off the shelf cam simply cannot answer.... especially since your setup will obviously be unique on many levels. A custom power plant in a chassis that was not considered when that camshaft was designed.

Can an off the shelf cam work? Sure. Will it get you the best results? No way.

Smokinhot

3-man rules!!!!
Jul 4, 2007
Lansing, IL
Real Name
IM me if you wanna know more ;)
good luck man, eventually down the road i'll be LSx swapping in a 2nd Gen camaro :D you'll get the hang of these motors, and there is sooooo much potential. I'll be swapping my 4.8 for a 6.0 in my truck too.

I agree though, that a custom cam will be your best bet and some good heads to help out the gain.

good luck man, eventually down the road i'll be LSx swapping in a 2nd Gen camaro :D you'll get the hang of these motors, and there is sooooo much potential. I'll be swapping my 4.8 for a 6.0 in my truck too.

I agree though, that a custom cam will be your best bet and some good heads to help out the gain.

This swap was actually for a first gen camaro, but after looking into it he decided it was out of his budget. Thanks for the advice anyways everyone. I'll still probably post some progress pics somewhere cause we're still going to drop a 350 in it. It just would have been nasty to do a cammed LS1 in that camaro.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Alright so I'm sort of a noob when it comes to LS1's. I know a little bit about them and have been doing a little reading on LS1 tech but I was looking to get some opinions from some people on here seeing as there are a lot of LSx cars. Long story short, me and some friends are going to take on a project most likely this summer. We're going to be doing an LS1 and T56 swap into another vehicle but what's the fun of just putting in a stock LS1? SO, my buddy who owns the car and will be buying the engine and trans wants to put a cam in it. He said he wants it to be a pretty aggressive cam. I've been looking up some cams that were in the cam sticky on LS1 Tech and this one caught my eye the most (FM14 Cam 232/234 .600/.600 110) :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po0QyFgDREk

I looked up some of the LFE cams and they sound pretty nasty too. Honestly though, I don't even know where to begin. Anyone got any other cam suggestions? Also, what kind of valvetrain and other mods should he be running if he's going to get an aggressive cam like that? Thanks in advance peoples.

Going with what im guessing u want is a pretty darn healthy cam that makes good power. Your going to need more than just the cam itself. These cars that ur seeing videos of and my car also dont just have a cam. With it ull need push rods, new lifters if u so choose, def springs on the heads, rockers are ur choice (remember changing the ratio also changes the cam.) Just some things to consider. As well as u may need to port the stock heads if ur using them because they will prob max out im sure.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info