• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Major carnage of the vette and rebuild progress....

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
The story starts off with a few us going up to C'Ville to hang out and check out some rides ;) and Upon a lil' unadulterated public display of mass amounts of horsepower and a lil' air the vette did not want to accelerate under it's own power.....and the work then begins.....
Thanks to Rick, Jon, Allen, and Dave for stopping to make sure Tom was ok and helping :bigok:

The start of the reconstructive surgery...

DSC_8158.jpg

DSC_8159.jpg

DSC_8161.jpg

All sexy and clean, and ready for the the surgery to start....

DSC_8164.jpg

The exhaust taken off, the trans plate....

DSC_8167.jpg

Wheels off, Brakes un-done, Upper A arm disconnected along with shock....

DSC_8168.jpg

Half Shaft removed, to see that the driver side axle is there and no broken:hsugh:

DSC_8169.jpg

Over to the pass side......same process.....

DSC_8173.jpg

Doctor, I think we found the problem......Pass axle that NEVER breaks snapped!....

DSC_8174.jpg

DSC_8181.jpg

DSC_8189.jpg

Pic of the dif with the DTE rear Brace....

DSC_8180.jpg

Rear cradle disconnected and dropped....

DSC_8176.jpg

DSC_8182.jpg

Torque tube dropped with rear end and tranny.....

DSC_8183.jpg

DSC_8186.jpg

What it should look like, and what it is......
Snapped right in half!.....The half shaft might need to be replaced if the U Joint can not be replaced....

DSC_8194.jpg

DSC_8195.jpg

Should be good to go with the new STRONGER axles...
300mm 4340...Both the driver and pass side will be installed....

DSC_8198.jpg

And it is called a night to do a lil' research on installation of new axles, local gaskets, fluid, and halft shaft/U Joint.....

DSC_8192.jpg

DSC_8193.jpg

More pics to come!..........

utryd2

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 3, 2009
North Aurora
That thing was in the air as soon as it came off the tow truck. Some wrenching, beers, and a few helping hands (damit dave and riski) and we got the exhaust and tunnel plate out. Called it quits for the night.
Today ripped it all out.
Hopefully I will get the parts I need (gaskets,bearings,half shaft) in a timely manner and will be at Lukes next week! Will keep everyone posted on the rebuild and riski is taking all the pics.

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
Yes, the Red brace that is on, needs to come off to seperate the dif from the tranny...

Then tear the dif apart, inspect it, and upgrade the axles.....The half shaft needed to come out as that was damaged and had half the axle in it.....

5 bolts hold the torque tube in, and the "quick disconnect" line for the slave unit......then a few plugs and whole rear end is removed...

If this was a camaro or t.a then just the rear it would not happen but vettes are fun like this, but prob quicker to tear apart.....

Riski

Suck my balls!
Jun 23, 2009
North Aurora
Good luck getting that thing goin' again. Turk told me what happened at lukes.

We will be tearing the dif apart today after work, and installing the new axles,......just need ne gaskets and fluids for that, and then have to see what we can find for a half shaft on the pass. side.....Then she will be rolling.....

Should only take a few hrs to put it back together once all the parts are here:bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info