• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

So this is what happened on my way to work this morning...

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
WTF.jpg

I put on my C6 rims and took off my winter rims on Sunday... drove to work yesterday, everything was fine.

I drove to work this morning.. I get on Randall heading south and the car is viberating a little bit (I think nothing of it because my exhaust is a bit loose and rattles.. figured it just got worse). I go to pull off on a side street right before RT 20 to see why its getting worse and BOOM... car bottoms out on the rear drivers side and I see my rim/tire rolling away from my Trans Am for about 50ft. I call a tow truck, get it towed back up to Algonquin (luckily my insurance covers the tow) and take a look at it and my studs are bent (but not stripped), the rotor is fine, as well as my rim and tire.

So what went wrong? Well, I got new lugs from autozone on Sunday just to throw on the car because the old ones are kind of rusted. I torqued them to 100 lbs (did not use an impact) and thought nothing of it. I take the lugs off the rest of the wheels today and look at them... they are ALL chewed up on the inside accept for a few threads on each lug. I have no idea what brand I bought (I bought the right size - 12mm - 1.50), but the metal used for the lugs was soft as hell and I have no idea how they felt so tight when I put them on... and yet so easily pushed themselves out.

Bought 20 all new lugs from another auto parts store near by and 5 new studs for that area. Put the studs in.. put the rotor back on.. put the caliper back on.. put the wheel back on... tighten the lugs on... take the lugs off to look if they did the same thing.. and luckily they did not.

Problem is solved but.. holy shit that could have been more expensive and lot more deadly to myself and others lol.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Did you take the old lugs back to the auto store and tell them what happened? Glad to hear no one got hurt and your car didn't take any damage. Same wheel on my car popped off back in Oct, but that was stupidity and not lug quality issue. So the inside of your rim wasn't damaged at all? Mine was absolutely trashed.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
holy shit...........i feel really terrible....you were in my neighborhood...i drove right past you...i was on the phone and didnt notice the tire off, so i didnt really think twice (cars are always stopped on that part of the road)....had i been paying attention, i would have stopped...

sorry man :hs:

glad everything worked out tho

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
You should have your own section "What happened to me on the way to work." This is the second time now something happened on the way to work, if I remember right. haha

Glad it was minor shit all and all.

No Dave, that was going out to my car... before I left for work lol

Did you take the old lugs back to the auto store and tell them what happened? Glad to hear no one got hurt and your car didn't take any damage. Same wheel on my car popped off back in Oct, but that was stupidity and not lug quality issue. So the inside of your rim wasn't damaged at all? Mine was absolutely trashed.

I really just didnt want to deal with it anymore today. I fixed it, im safe, Im just thankful Im not dead lol. I just threw the lugs out, I just dont want anymore of the situation, they can keep the $25.

And oddly enough, there were some scratches on the inside of my wheel well, but nothing more. It looked like the rotor only rode on the rim for like.. one rotation then went away from the car.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
holy shit...........i feel really terrible....you were in my neighborhood...i drove right past you...i was on the phone and didnt notice the tire off, so i didnt really think twice....had i been paying attention, i would have stopped...

sorry man :hs:

lol I had a lot ppl drive right past me and a lot of ppl ask if I needed help. No worries, nothing could have been done without getting it back to the house.

I do find it funny that I stopped right next to the "No Parking" sign tho haha. And if you could have seen the tire fly off, it was like it was straight out of a cartoon.

TransHed

Navy Seabee
Sep 3, 2009
Plainfield, IL
i thought it was odd that a clean trans am was parked there but i didnt notice anyone in the car so i thought maybe the owner ran out of gas :roflpicard:

i owe u a beer

Oh thats because I was sitting in the passenger seat with the door open talking on the phone with rather Amy or the towing service... avoiding eye contact with ppl lol.

Was the rim damaged at all?

Nope. I mean there are some scratches on the inside, but you cant see that without out taking off the wheel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info