• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

To the GTO crew

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
Seems we're getting a sizable group of gto owners over here now, so I'd like some advice.

Id love to give a GTO a go, but right now I just dont think an 05-06 is in my price range. Is there any REAL reason why I shouldn't consider an 04? I know theres a few 04 owners on here now, I'd like to hear your input.

when compared to 05-06's, I know 04's have the 5.7L, brakes arnt AS good, have potential strut problems, no scoopy hood, no power door lock switch inside, i know its still a true dual, just exits on one side, which doesnt bother me, cuz id throw a spintech side exit exhaust on it anyways

an LS2 would be nice, but theres only what, a 50hp difference in the 2 engines? What say the goat owners

Shocker

ShockerRacing.com
Feb 21, 2008
Aurora, IL
Yea the LS2's are stronger, thats the only benefit I think. Strut rub... I had an April 04 build and never had a problem plus that would be covered by recall and warranty. Smooth hood/one side exhaust=hotness and unique. Door locks at 1st it bugged me, you get over it.

Anything else can be made up by the lower cost.. an upgrade on all for corner brakes was about $500.

A 04 with headers, exhaust and cammed should be able to hold it's own with an 05. The 2 races I had with 05's they pulled a car on me.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
I may be wrong, but an 04 will be cheaper to mod. LS1s are way more abundant and have a larger aftermarket.

modding isnt of GREAT importance to me. im not lookin to build a 10 second race car (shocking, i know). my wrx is around a mid 13 second car right now, and im perfectly happy w/ it. I might like a LITTLE more speed out of a gto, but nothing crazy. I dont have anything to prove to anyone, if it puts a smile on my face when push the pedal to the floor thats good enough for me :wiggle:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I was looking at GTO's online the other day, I think there a great car for the money right now. But they seem like they are losing there resale value like crazy. Seems like everyone is selling them. idk I wouldn't want to finance one and have it depreciate faster than I could pay it off.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
that is also one of my concerns. but out here it seems like people charge whatever the hell they want for gto's. the spectrum of prices i see is just crazy. but thats why i wanna look for a cheaper one, and i plan to make a sizeable down payment, so whatever i finance should cover any depreciation so i wont go upsidedown on the car. thats what i love about my wrx. the demand for this car is still high enough that i never had to worry about going upside down on it

Scgoaty

Say Cheese
Feb 22, 2008
Algonquin, IL
I dont have anything to prove to anyone, if it puts a smile on my face when push the pedal to the floor thats good enough for me :wiggle:

For me driving the GTO = SEG every time I get in it. This is the first car, not including High School, that I have just gone out to drive for fun with no destination other than seat time for an hour or two and then back home. Usually the windows are down and the radio off, just rowing the gears and listening to the exhaust. These cruises used to be delegated to my Motorcycle, but I have a hard time not just jumping into the car if I want to get out just to cruise. The depreciation thing doesn't bother me too much, since I plan on keeping her around for a long time. To answer your original question though, if for some reason my car was totaled or stolen, I would not hesitate to purchase another one, including the 04. Because like you, I dont have anything to prove to anyone, and I am sure it would put a smile on my face.:smile:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info