• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

hoppity hop how do i stop?

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
this is what i did. :)

FILE0149.jpg

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
this is what i did. :)

FILE0149.jpg

did that even fix the wheel hop? because i bet it will make your car handle amazing, but i dont think it will do that much for the hop..

honestly not sure how to go about that with a IRS car. i know how to do it in a fbody, but those are different.

do f-bodies got wheel hop?

can u keep drag bags inflated while driving? or is that bad?

its bad to have them at like 25+ all the time, but most people keep them at like 15-18 while daily driving.. they really dont do a whole lot for wheel hop at the track anyway- just on the street.

Pedders, that's my next move.

I would save the money unless your going to autocross the car..

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
since the new clutch i get wheel hop near redline, what route should i go to remove that. 04 gto. :) thanks

so to answer your question, the only True fix to wheel hop is to go to go with a solid rear axle.. but since that will cost around 5grand, i doubt you will go that route.

Here is the best fix for it..
http://shop.gforce1320.com/product.sc?productId=54&categoryId=5

you can re-do every bushing in your car, and change every suspension component, but you will still have wheel hop on the track unless you get this set up..

and i actually have an extra axle (the smaller of the 2) for $250, if your interested.. That way you would only have to buy the larger one for 400

go on LS1gto and check it out.. this is really the only way to go.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
did that even fix the wheel hop? because i bet it will make your car handle amazing, but i dont think it will do that much for the hop..

It helped, thats for sure. haha. But yeah it doesnt completely get rid of it. I was going for a more all around handling package then a pure drag setup.

Like you said, the only way to REALLY get rid of it is a solid rear axle setup. but thats expensive, or beef up your drivetrain to put up with the abuse

modern-muscle

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
When I was fist chasing my wheel hop issues I started with Pedders. Pedders did get rid of a lot but it did not cure it. Then I moved to the Harrop cover... It also did not work but it did calm it down a bit. Next will be the offset diameter axels from G-Force, they are a "cure" for wheel hop without a doubt! Give us a call if you want some pricing on them as we are a dealer for them!

Jan 12, 2010
I would save the money unless your going to autocross the car..

You know thats kinda funny! The only people who ever say things like this are the ones who don't actually own a Pedderized vehicle. This is just an uneducated, blanket statement. The problem with situations like this are the people trying to do the proper research and learn something read a comment like this and think it might be true because it was stated on the internet and the person who said it might have a high post count. This is why its hard to rely on the internet forums for information, especially when you have no idea who is behind the keyboard. On to the topic of this thread...

I have a 2004 GTO myself and up until recently I had a complete Pedders Track II Drop Kit on my GTO. I also have the Harrop rear diff cover. I still have the stock axles and driveshaft. I can not reproduce wheel hop with this setup on the street. I have not had it at the track yet so I can't speak for my personal car in that environment. Now, not every car is the same, thats what gets frustrating for the GTO owners. We have done several cars that even this did not completely cure their wheel hop like it did for me. I would say try the single larger axle from G-Force if you don't want to tackle the suspension first. I don't know anyone who just did that alone so it would be a good test for about $400. As far as the drag bags as a solution...not really. Most drag bag setups require you to cut the factory bump stops and then you will always have to run drag bags in the future no matter what you do with the suspension. Drag bags are meant to be inflated at the track for short durations, not inflated and driven around town for miles and miles. Every person who uses them for this purpose has leaking issues and they become a maintenance nightmare. They always have problems with them not holding air. In my opinion drag bags have their purpose at the track, but thats about it. Like Savi stated earlier, let us know if you have any other questions, we would be happy to help.

Brad

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
this is the beautiful thing about forums.. you come here to find opinion on everyone willing to lend their advice, and you can do what you will with it..

this is why i said "I WOULD" instead of "DONT DO IT!!!"

And i really hope no one comes on here looking for the answers to everything, because all they are going to get is an opinion... you obviously stated yours in response to mine.

and to be honest, if i got cost on the pedders kit, i would also take advantage of it as well...

This is just one of those things that i dont know if the cost, out-weighs the benefit when their are other options... if cost was no issue, you might as well do it all! but thats not always the case.

modern-muscle

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
this is the beautiful thing about forums.. you come here to find opinion on everyone willing to lend their advice, and you can do what you will with it..

this is why i said "I WOULD" instead of "DONT DO IT!!!"

And i really hope no one comes on here looking for the answers to everything, because all they are going to get is an opinion... you obviously stated yours in response to mine.

and to be honest, if i got cost on the pedders kit, i would also take advantage of it as well...

This is just one of those things that i don't know if the cost, out-weighs the benefit when their are other options... if cost was no issue, you might as well do it all! but that's not always the case.

Ha Tad, both Brad and I have purchased a full Pedders setups before we started working here so if its cost is your reason you are way off. Pedders does a lot for the car in general and for you to make a statement like "only if your auto crossing" then your ignorance starts to show threw. How can you make a statement like that if you don't have any Pedders parts on your car now?

Problem with the forums are there are people who are ignorant and talk when they have no knowledge of the topic, and people listen even when they are just suggestions, so why say anything if you don't know for sure. The whole "the only way to really eliminate wheel hop is to get a solid rear axle" is bull shit. The problem with the gto is harmonics which is why the different size half shafts work great (been proved with the CTS-V)! Every car is different and for most cars Pedders does the trick, my car is an exception but I also twisted a drive shaft on stock power so i can only assume my drive line is out of whack from the get go.

Bottom line is if you dont know what you are talken about then take the obvious route!

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
I actually do have pedders parts in my car. Thanks for asking.

And you guys go ahead and get your sale on. My words are my opinion. I stated that, and its for everyone to take it the way they want. I really don't care if this guy spends 2500 on a full pedder set up, or a fraction of the cost to get the new axle set up, or if he just sticks with drag bags. I am just trying to share the little knowledge I have.

And I may not have knowledge from first hand experience when it comes to a pedderized car, but I have had conversations with almost every 9 second and 10sec gto owner-some of which are pedder dealer regarding their suspension set ups. And what I have found, is there are certain bushings that are essential to replace, but not everything is a necessity.

tmbutitta

TCG Elite Member
Feb 16, 2010
Rockford
So I did go and re-read the original post and the comments. And I think I jumped the gun a bit. I do think he should get new shocks and springs, all the way around. But I just personally don't believe in a full "trackII" set up or whatever the full kit is.

Although I haven't looked at the new way they are setting their kits up.

Maybe the new kits have the essentials and are priced better? I dunno.

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
You know thats kinda funny! The only people who ever say things like this are the ones who don't actually own a Pedderized vehicle. This is just an uneducated, blanket statement. The problem with situations like this are the people trying to do the proper research and learn something read a comment like this and think it might be true because it was stated on the internet and the person who said it might have a high post count. This is why its hard to rely on the internet forums for information, especially when you have no idea who is behind the keyboard. On to the topic of this thread...

I have a 2004 GTO myself and up until recently I had a complete Pedders Track II Drop Kit on my GTO. I also have the Harrop rear diff cover. I still have the stock axles and driveshaft. I can not reproduce wheel hop with this setup on the street. I have not had it at the track yet so I can't speak for my personal car in that environment. Now, not every car is the same, thats what gets frustrating for the GTO owners. We have done several cars that even this did not completely cure their wheel hop like it did for me. I would say try the single larger axle from G-Force if you don't want to tackle the suspension first. I don't know anyone who just did that alone so it would be a good test for about $400. As far as the drag bags as a solution...not really. Most drag bag setups require you to cut the factory bump stops and then you will always have to run drag bags in the future no matter what you do with the suspension. Drag bags are meant to be inflated at the track for short durations, not inflated and driven around town for miles and miles. Every person who uses them for this purpose has leaking issues and they become a maintenance nightmare. They always have problems with them not holding air. In my opinion drag bags have their purpose at the track, but thats about it. Like Savi stated earlier, let us know if you have any other questions, we would be happy to help.

Brad

I totally agree with the Modern guys. They do know what they are talking about. lol we were just up their and all of them drive GTO's it was kinda creepy actually. I think since I drive one I should apply for a job there lol. But anyways I have drag bags and I have adjustable shock for the rear. This helped a little for me, but like brad said it doesnt work for everyone. I dont have hop in first but in second it still does a little.

Honestly I feel trial and error seems to be what happens. Try different things if they dont work sell the parts or add new things and talk to the experts on what is best

79vette

Wrenching
Feb 10, 2009
Batavia
I dont have any experiance with the GTO IRS but what got my car to dead hook and put it on the bumper was a very stiff spring and double adjustable shocks. the compression setting is around the middle and the rebound setting is almost all the way maxed out to slow rebound. never had wheel hop since, now I am gonna try to figure out how to keep the car's nose down on launch. oh and your front suspension plays a very large roll in keeping the weight transfered to the rear tires. so a spring and shock set up there counts big. I have very loose front springs with a quick extension/slow compression shock up front.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info