• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

throttle sticking 99 SS

T

The Beast

I just took out my 99 SS since it has been in storage and drove it around and noticed when I remove my foot off the throttle at around 40 mph the car does not slow down so I put the car in nuetral its a automatic and rpm is around 1900 rpm. When I stop at at a light or stop sign the car is at idle around 700 rpm which is normal. What sensor or part could it be? has anyone experienced this before?? I'm thinking IAC sensor but I don't want to buy it and it not fix problem. The car is bonestock except for a lid and k&n. any input would will be helpful thanks in advance.

02BlueGT

No Fucks Have Been Given
Feb 21, 2008
Now apearing in Hanover Park
Check the TB for gunk, a slight build up(normally at the bottom) will cause the blade to stick a little open, then air gets in over the top of the blade, this will also cause it to take more pedal movement to make the same RPM's that it used to(limited air flow at teh bottom the the blade during part throttle)....

Or your IAC could be gunked up

T

The Beast

yep, clean the IAC first. Past that, has the car been tuned? This could easily be a tune issue as well.

The car is bone stock all i installed was a k&n and lid that is all. I will clean iac today. It's just my grocery getter in the summer.

PS - Does it have a toyota sign/sticker on it? :s00ls:

LOL :noes::noes: Only difference is throttle does not accelerate at full throttle stays around 1700 rpm- 1900 rpm snd comes back down when i stop.

haha i was just thinking that.

No toyota. I see we have comedians on the garage. lol

Check the TB for gunk, a slight build up(normally at the bottom) will cause the blade to stick a little open, then air gets in over the top of the blade, this will also cause it to take more pedal movement to make the same RPM's that it used to(limited air flow at teh bottom the the blade during part throttle)....

Or your IAC could be gunked up

Around October my buddy replaced the idler pulley and 2 belts and noticed the throttle body was dirty and he cleaned it. I will check again and re clean it with brake cleaner and iac.

B

Bad00SS

if the car has a FAST 78 or 90mm throttle body this is a known problem. I assume yours is stock tho. my 91 z28 had this happen and the throttle cable was getting cought up where it passes thru the fire wall. put a new throttle cable on it from the dealer for $20 and fixed it. possible the IAC is acting up. clean the throttle body real good and start from there.

T

The Beast

Okay guys I just wanted to say thanks to everyone I took everyone's advice and traded it in for a Toyota.

Just kidding I took everyone's advice and cleaned the IAC sensor and replaced the throttle position sensor and problem is fixed. thanks for the helpful advice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info