• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

School me on the f-body t-56

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
How strong are they?
Where can I get upgraded internals for them?
What's the weakpoint? Input shaft?
Are all f-body versions the same? Gearing, strength etc?

What are we talking LT1s or LS1s? I've messed with both. I can tell you FLT is the place to get work done to your T-56 if your around the Chicagoland area, regardless LT1/LS1. Chuck does some incredible work and takes the time to show you what he upgraded and what if anything was bad to your trans. I had my T-56 4th, 5th and 6th gear shit out on me all at once at 70,000 miles. He showed me how bad the gears were chewed up (not my fault dum bass I bought the car from).

Stock T-56s are pretty weak once you start modding your car. The fork pads aren't too strong, we all know 1-4 gears get abused at the track and I also see a lot of solenoids going out on these trans.

If you get work done and get one built right, the thing is a monster. One last thing I'll add is that the T-56 is like a Swiss watch. Although simple in form, there's quite a bit of shit going on partially the reason it's such an affective trans.

If you want to learn more about pulling one out here ya go.... I even wrote the last article in the thread when I did mine. Shows the tools and all.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/779117-clutch-swap-trans-removal-sticky.html

Mine...
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/779117-clutch-swap-trans-removal-sticky-3.html

Here's some more info on the trans. Some people bitch about sticking clutches and doing the drill mod or getting a tick performance master cylinder. I just bought a new GM stock master cylinder and slave and my car has been fine since.
http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1095769-manual-transmission-stickied-threads.html

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Weird. I've ran over 400WHP for two years... my T-56 is flawless. But I honestly don't drive it "hard".... no power shifting it at all.
Hmmm. Well the car in question is a decent amount heavier than yours (3900lbs) and torque numbers should be around the 450 ft-lb range.

Good to know yours has held up. I had thought yours was completely stock sans clutch.

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Damn. That makes this more promising. Now I just have to figure out how much this will cost. I'll need alot of stuff.
Used trans
either an adapter bell housing or stock with an adapter plate
clutch
flywheel
custom pilot bearing
clutch linkage
pedals

also have to figure out if I wanna go hydro or cable clutch

Bones

Don't call me late for dinner!!!
Dec 29, 2009
Nw Burbs
Quick search on eBay shows gto trans is about $1500. Rebuilt t56 is around $1200. Couldn't find any used ones

I bet that's a stock rebuilt price tho. Your going to spend at least 2k to around 2,200 for a performance/racing built T-56. And even if it is called a performance build, guarantee you the majority of that rebuild is using stock parts.

modern-muscle

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
we have had the t56 hold on a very good amount of power! When you start getting around 500-550rwtq you might want to start watching a little closer. Its all in how you drive it, if you drive it hard then its not gana last as long. But on the other hand of the spectrum we have seen them go out completely stock, but like I said its all how you drive it. If you clutch starts goin bad and you are forcen the gear you are gana have problems sooner.

We deal with RPM, when you are ready let me know we will help you out with the shipping to and from, we deal with RPM directly. They are by far the best we have dealt with thus far, and there prices are reasonable!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info