• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

High Idle - Cold Start Warmup

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Anybody familiar with how are cars are programmed to handle cold start warm ups. My car tends to idle at about 1K when it is cold and stays there it seems until the car goes to Open Loop, aka fully warmed up. I can understand the high idle when it is really cold, but this morning it was about 30, note I keep my car in the garage as well, and I was at high idle for most of my 8 mile drive to work.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Also posted: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/ls4-front-drives-2005-2010/1238193-high-idle-cold-start-warmup.html

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
If I blip the throttle it'll come down to around a 1000. Then once the needle starts moving it'll idle at 800 like normal.

I can back outa the drive way an make it about a mile before having to use the throttle to leave a stop.

Just realized this was lsx country. That I do not have

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
I don't have HP Tuners, I want it but 500 bones is hard to stomach... And then there is the laptop.

Interestingly enough on the way home it dropped the idle after just a few miles. I think it keeps the high idle longer when the car sits for longer. I didn't drive all weekend so the car just sat in the garage. I am going to see what it does in the morning.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Yeah I try not to let it idle for more than 5 minutes, then drive it easy for the next five until I get to a main road. I never beat on it in the morning, heck I don't get past 3500 on the tach most mornings, and I never make it over 50, usually only up to 45 for a brief period...

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
JK
Yeah I try not to let it idle for more than 5 minutes, then drive it easy for the next five until I get to a main road. I never beat on it in the morning, heck I don't get past 3500 on the tach most mornings, and I never make it over 50, usually only up to 45 for a brief period...
Without hpt there's little you can do to help. Sounds very normal though.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Okay so today I watched it again and it came down from 1k much faster than yesterday, and according to the car it was actually a few degrees colder today. Yesterday the car didn't come down from idling at 1k until the car was fully warmed up, today it came down after only warming up about halfway...

I think this is more related to the length of time the car sits. Which is strange to me.

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I think your worrying about nothing. Im sure there are several factors that determine how quickly it gets up to operating temp, like ambiant air temp, temp in your garage, how much gas ur giving it upon startup, and prolly a bunch of other stuff. As long as its going back to a normal idle I wouldnt worry about it.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Do you still have a scantool? You could check for Commanded RPMs to see what the computer is calling for at idle vs actual RPMs.

Also, if you are running the Defrost (ac compressor), that might contribute the difference in idle given the increase in load on the engine during the warm-up cycle.

Overall, it doesn't sound like a problem. Just my two cents. :smile:

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Nope, I am tool less.... I wish I still had one.

I am not running the AC, though sometimes the auto climate control turns it on I have not see it on the past 2 days.

It many not be a problem, but I know it is not normal for the car to be idling at 100 rpms in 30 degree weather after driving almost 8 miles and running for 20 minutes. And as of right now the common denominator seemst to be length between starts.

For example, if the car is idling high but not fully warmed up and I turn it off then back on, after the restart the car will idle back below 1k at it's normal spot.

Weird, that is what it is, very weird.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info