• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

supporting mods for cam?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I'm sure they'll chime in, but you may want to PM Modern Muscle themselves about what's all included.

You'll likely have to get different valve springs and fuel injectors depending how big of a cam.

modern-muscle

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
At the chili cookoff a few fellow tcg ppls told us about modern muscles $1k cam deal.

Anyway, is this a good idea to go? He's got an 04 stock gto. He was planning on throwing some headers on too. So is headers and a cam a good route to go?

The $1k cam is a custom grind cam, it include the cam it self, the install, and the tune. The items that are still needed are springs and pushrods, optional mods would be things like a double roller timing set (strongly suggested), a underdrive pulley and maybe a ARP crank bolt.

The cam will be determined based off of the things you are looking for out of the car so we can get this all figured out once we talk.

As far as headers go we have a deal on those going on as well, with cats they are 1900 installed and tuned. The only thing you would need for this would be the exhaust manifold gaskets. We could probably discount you on the tune since you are already getting it with the cam. We highly suggest doing headers if you are going to do a cam. Keep in mind these are top of the line headers. They are made by Kooks are very nice quality.

Someone mentioned a LS6 intake manifold and i would say dont do that because you already have it. The GTO motor is not the motor that came out of the F-body, its a bit of everything. We have a very free flowing intake manifold as is. Your best bet would be to go with a FAST intake manifold but i would hold off on that until you upgrade your heads, you will find you will out flow the 241 heads on the car really quick with a FAST intake manifold. If you have any question please feel free to give us a call or PM us. We would be more than happy to walk you through the steps. Just try to keep a goal in mind for your car, that will help making decisions a bit easier.

You will see a good amount of power between the two, so I would say this is a very good place to start.

Thanks,
Savi

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
The $1k cam is a custom grind cam, it include the cam it self, the install, and the tune. The items that are still needed are springs and pushrods, optional mods would be things like a double roller timing set (strongly suggested), a underdrive pulley and maybe a ARP crank bolt.

The cam will be determined based off of the things you are looking for out of the car so we can get this all figured out once we talk.

As far as headers go we have a deal on those going on as well, with cats they are 1900 installed and tuned. The only thing you would need for this would be the exhaust manifold gaskets. We could probably discount you on the tune since you are already getting it with the cam. We highly suggest doing headers if you are going to do a cam. Keep in mind these are top of the line headers. They are made by Kooks are very nice quality.

Someone mentioned a LS6 intake manifold and i would say dont do that because you already have it. The GTO motor is not the motor that came out of the F-body, its a bit of everything. We have a very free flowing intake manifold as is. Your best bet would be to go with a FAST intake manifold but i would hold off on that until you upgrade your heads, you will find you will out flow the 241 heads on the car really quick with a FAST intake manifold. If you have any question please feel free to give us a call or PM us. We would be more than happy to walk you through the steps. Just try to keep a goal in mind for your car, that will help making decisions a bit easier.

You will see a good amount of power between the two, so I would say this is a very good place to start.

Thanks,
Savi

Didn't know that Goats have a LS6 intake manifold stock because I never re-searched that. As for your "out-flowing 241 heads" with a FAST I find that HILARIOUS seeing as every dyno sheet, track times recorded from LS6 to Fast 90/92 swap has GAINED all over the board, under the curve, peak HP track numbers, better throttle response. But hey your the "masters" right?

Also to OP Speed Inc has a cam special for $1499 which includes EVERYTHING you need, pre-dyno also fluids, fasteners, install, tuning everything.
Straightline also has some good cam packages, PM me if you need any more help.

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
chill out...its their opinion

And thats my opinion and I can't have it either? I'm sorry Mook I find it funny on any forum some one disagrees with a sponsor and says something negative and they get jumped on by every one, or posts get edited. I think other people espcially the OP should be able to hear what others think as well before making a decision like camming their car? :dunno: But who knows maybe i'm stupid for thinking that.

Csurane24

I like big butts and I can not lie
Jan 30, 2010
Crete
I think that the cam and headers is a awesome route to go. I wish that this deal was around a few moths ago when I did my head and cam combo with Modern. Justin is also a excellent tuner and I would recommend him to anyone. Modern knows goats, three of their employee's have goats and at any given time you go up there at least four more are in the shop getting modded. I will personally vouch for Modern and Justin himself, they built most of my car and did an awesome job with it. I would say without a doubt that your friend should jump all over this deal.

Edit: Some other good supporting mods would be: UDP, dual chain timing set, cai, full exhaust, and maybe some porting with the intake and TB.

modern-muscle

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
Thanks for the advice modern muscle, I own the goat Freebeer187 spoke of and want to work out some figures / plan with your shop.
I want to add in the necessary supporting mods you mentioned earlier to the cam job as well as work in coated pacesetters LT's. Let me know what you think
Jason

Sure man, I will get some pricing on the pacesetters for you and get a quote going tomorrow so you have an idea of how much it will cost. Ill have some questions for you as far as the cam goes to make sure we get the right one for you. Hit me back in a PM when you get a chance and let me know if you are looking for just the regular coating or the Jet hot.

I think that the cam and headers is a awesome route to go. I wish that this deal was around a few moths ago when I did my head and cam combo with Modern. Justin is also a excellent tuner and I would recommend him to anyone. Modern knows goats, three of their employee's have goats and at any given time you go up there at least four more are in the shop getting modded. I will personally vouch for Modern and Justin himself, they built most of my car and did an awesome job with it. I would say without a doubt that your friend should jump all over this deal.

Edit: Some other good supporting mods would be: UDP, dual chain timing set, cai, full exhaust, and maybe some porting with the intake and TB.

Thanks Colin, really appreciate the kind words!

Didn't know that Goats have a LS6 intake manifold stock because I never re-searched that. As for your "out-flowing 241 heads" with a FAST I find that HILARIOUS seeing as every dyno sheet, track times recorded from LS6 to Fast 90/92 swap has GAINED all over the board, under the curve, peak HP track numbers, better throttle response. But hey your the "masters" right?

Also to OP Speed Inc has a cam special for $1499 which includes EVERYTHING you need, pre-dyno also fluids, fasteners, install, tuning everything.
Straightline also has some good cam packages, PM me if you need any more help.

Chill out man, no one is attacking you and there is no need for a sarcastic response. I think you need to reread my post because I said that you would out flow the 241 heads (because you will), what i DID NOT say is that you wouldnt gain power. You will gain power, that is not an argument at all, you just will not use the fast intake manifold to its maximum potential and for a 1000 dollar combo between the TB and manifold I would think you would want to use it to the max potential. There is no reason to get all up in arms tho!

chill out...its their opinion

i wasnt silencing you and i have NEVER edited comments. just saying...going out of your way to be sarcastic isnt needed. your opinion is valid and you have every right to inform him on what you know, etc.

Thank you Mook!

Savi

We almost never encourage anyone to spend the money on the FAST setup without a better set of heads, and even more so with 241s. It doesn't make much economical sense to do it for the minimal gains you will get from it. The FAST does outflow a stock 241 head on the flowbench. There's not much to argue there. That being said, the choke point is the heads. Noone said that the FAST wouldn't create some advantages and power gains, but I'm not going to recommend that you go and drop 1300-1500 on a FAST intake and throttle body to be stuck needing heads anyways. The FAST gains are produced by an increase in total induction airflow, slightly larger plenum volume, and better pumping efficiencies with the larger runners. All of these characteristics are amplified when you have a set of heads that doesn't choke it down. We'd rather put the horse before the cart. The LS6 manifold, even with a 78mm throttle body flows quite well. As long as the cam specs are driven to meet the goals of the end user, we can extract some extremely well performing setups with the LS6 and ported TB. We encourage people to spend the money on at least a ported set of 243 casting heads before making the investment on the FAST.

If your going to go that route why buy a $1000 set of LT's when a set thats $300 does the same thing? Thats right Kooks fit better, perform slightly better then Pacesetters and give you every last bit that counts. To Angel Eyes enjoy your GTO.

I think you're missing the point and the reason behind the cost difference. People can argue until they're blue in the face that this header out performs that header. In some cases this is true, but in a lot of cases it is negligible. Most advantages or performance differences are in the design of the header, not the construction. When comparing apples to apples, when both headers have the same primary diameter, the same port shape and size, the same primary length, the same collector length and outlet diameter, you're going to see little to no difference. What you get with Kooks is first and foremost, a stainless header. They will not corrode or pit even uncoated. The Pacesetters are a great budget alternative, but at the end of the day it is a mild steel header. There is a much shorter life expectancy due to corrosion especially in the climate that we live in. The coatings provided by Pacesetter do not last long periods of time, and they are only on the outside of the header. Next, on the Kooks, the fitment is superior. There is more adjustability and just simply better construction and design from a fitment standpoint.

IDAFC21

WOW.
Staff member
TCG Premium
May 23, 2007
Avondale, AZ
You will definitely love this route. Ive got pacesetters on my car and have had no issues w/ them at all, for the money they cant be beat. I too took my car into a shop to get headers, and came out w/ headers and a cam, so i know where your comin from :rofl:

what are the specs on the cam thats gonna go in?

Also, I'd probably start saving up for a new clutch now if i were you :hsugh:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info