• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Blew my trans on my Trailblazer SS today

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Got on Westbound (its actually north) 290 at Lake St in Addison, had the happy pedal MAYBE halfway down while going up the ramp and BOOM, loud grinding noise and no forward gears and reverse didn't come up until I sat for a while. The shitty 4L70E trans in the TBSS is known for grenading itself but I'm only at 40,200 miles, out of warranty and I had the trans fluid flushed and filled at 35,000 and I've got a trans cooler on the damn thing. I don't beat on it, don't race and I have no need to take it to the track. Why the fuck would they put such a shit trans into such a good vehicle and not cover it for failures that hundreds of people are having? FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK I can't afford this shit right now.

It's sitting at a place called M&N Auto Service in Addison because I'd rather not have it at a stealership, they sent the tow truck and they do trans work. Anyone know anything about this place?

I'm thinking I might just get a new better trans and have them put it in but that depends on whats wrong and how much money (that I don't have) it's going to cost.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
4L70E is the worst idea in the history of worst ideas. I'm thinking I'll just get a small loan and get a built tranny done. I tow a camper maybe twice a year and if I gotta pay for it I might as well get something that'll last at least til I pay off the loan. The trans is still cheaper than a warranty that barely covers anything anyway. I just can't believe that a car with 40K on it that I honestly don't beat on would blow a trans. I've got a friend from high school that's an engineer for GM, I'm gonna tell him to find the guy that put that piece of shit trans into what is otherwise an awesome SUV and punch him in the nuts.

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
Mechanics thinking it's the front dif and/or the transfer case and from reading a few posts on the Trailblazer forum I'm on he might be right. Regardless it's not gonna be cheap and I don't understand why it's a rather common problem and GM does nothing about it. If it's the dif and T-case I'm looking at about $5000. FML!!!

KaMaSuTrA

Resident Sexi Man
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago IL
You case on front diff/t-case issue is the same case I have against GM when it comes to the CTS-V1 differentials. Granted they did build a "stronger" diff case for the GEN II/III GeTrag diffs however, that didn't solve the problem until they came out with the current CTS-V2 and its wheel hop stopping staggered axles. Why couldn't they just step up and fix the issues or better yet engineer them better especially when you have like 400 crank hp to deal with and an IRS built on rubber bands and religious faith?!

:fu:

SMRTSS1

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 12, 2010
Elgin
You should add "not" to the beginning of your plate.

But really that blows. Why $5k? Seems very steep to me

Nice attempt at humor assbag but you FAIL!

I don't beat on it and it's not from abuse, nor did I design a shit trans and driveline components around a great motor and platform. The $5K would be if I need the front dif and transfer case re-done, and thats to start. Plus I'm not doing what GM did and put low grade crap into my truck.

Anyway.....So far from what the Tech told me (these guys are pretty quick and have called me twice today giving me updates) the splines on the shaft going into the front diff are wasted and it took all the neighboring parts along with it when it failed, which from some of the threads I read on the Trailblazer forum I'm on this isn't that strange a problem. I can't remember if he said from the axle or the transfer case (I've been drinking a little heavely since yesterday for some reason?). Looking like the preliminary guestimate is about $2,000 and it'll prolly take a good week with waiting for parts, hopefully not longer. I've got a friend from high school thats an engineer at GM thats going to look into a few things for me but I doubt the faceless monster that GM is will do anything for me.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info