• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Frank's Winter Build Thread :D

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Well the fun has begun for this winter. Just ordered Hooker COMP longtubes and an off road y-pipe from speed inc. and picked up my Loudmouth II with the race muffler from there today. The car needs a clutch and brakes, but those will go on closer to the spring. As of now, i'm looking to do Eibach sportline springs with KYB AGX's for shocks. Panhard bar, LCA's with relo. brackets. Weld in SFC's and a torque arm. IF there's still money coming in after all the suspension work and clutch and brakes are here, i'm seriously considering camming her as well. My goal is a car that can be driven every day and be taken on long road trips, but can still tear apart an auto-x and run a mid 11 in the 1/4. I'll get pics up when the headers get in, the LM2 went on yesterday just cause I was bored, but it was dark so I didnt bother taking pictures.

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I just did panhard bar and LCAs with relocation brackets. The LCAs and relocation brackets made a huge difference in the way the car launches. The rear QA1s with stock springs also helped.

Before the suspension I ran a 13.20, and after, plus some cooler weather, I ran a few 12.80 passes with 1.81 60' on a 2.73 gear.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Not bad, i expected a bit more than that though honestly. I dropped about .6 with a vigilante 3600 on my truck.

I'm still on a 2.73 gear and only trapping 105 mph. Gear and a few 1998-specific things are still holding me back, but they will be sorted this winter.

i was gonna say the same thing... those 4;10s in your tbss make that converter a whole lot more noticeable im guessing.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Personally, I'm looking for more handeling then 1/4 mile time, but that's not to say I wont take her to the track every so often. The only thing i'm worried about now is if my wheels will grind in the wheelwells once she's lowered. When I throw her into a hard corner now they rub on the inner fenderwells so I'm guessing the suspension work will only make it worse. I dont remember what the offset is on my rims right now and i'm hesitant to run spacers... any thoughts from you all on that?

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
lower control arms & panhard upgrades will help that issue.... however wheel fitment is pretty critical.

:werd: Even on stock springs, once I did LCA and relocation brackets plus panhard bar it's a completely different car. If you're going for road racing there are typically different mounting holes on the relocation brackets that will set up the geometry for turns instead of straight line.

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Ok, so one of the thing's I'm going to have to do once I do my suspension is address the fact that under hard cornering the inside of my wheels rub on the inner fenderwell. I'm hesitant to run spacers, but dont want to go back to my ZR1 wheels cause i'd loose width in the rear. One thing I have yet to do any real learning on is wheel spacing and such.... I've been looking at C6 Z06 rims 18x9.5's in the front and 19x11 in the rear for my auto-x and street driving, i'd be running michelin pilot sports. my question is, how the hell do i figure out the offset so that I dont run into a problem once the car is lowered... and if anybody knows a good manufacturer for replica wheels feel free to post up as well..

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
If you don't have an adjustable panhard bar, get one. It'll let you center the rear perfect to help with the tire rub. That and a few blows with a giant hammer to the inner wheelwells and you'll be golden.

I'll be getting one with the rest of my suspension stuff. they rub at stock ride height now so that's why i'm thinking it'll only get worse lol...

Outlaw

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 24, 2009
Johnsburg
Still waiting on the headers, it's been 2 weeks already :sad: I'm really itching to get these things on, I was so bored I put a tach in my 94 blazer just cause I felt like working on my own car for once lol. Also decided I probably wont be camming the car this year, I think I want to port my heads and then send them out to get oversized valves done so I can flow a bit bigger cam, that can be a project for next winter lol. hey hilrod, i see a first gen S-10 on your avatar... your truck? I just picked up that blazer and i've been looking for some little stuff to do to it any words of wisdom?

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
Yeah, it's mine. I may even drive it today! I'm working on a '92 Jimmy also right now. Little stuff to do, there is a bunch. I tend to go off the deep end and do everything! I've got a brake upgrade, later model swaybars, lowering kit, wheels, and a bunch of stuff waiting to be put on.

Ok, so one of the thing's I'm going to have to do once I do my suspension is address the fact that under hard cornering the inside of my wheels rub on the inner fenderwell. I'm hesitant to run spacers, but dont want to go back to my ZR1 wheels cause i'd loose width in the rear. One thing I have yet to do any real learning on is wheel spacing and such.... I've been looking at C6 Z06 rims 18x9.5's in the front and 19x11 in the rear for my auto-x and street driving, i'd be running michelin pilot sports. my question is, how the hell do i figure out the offset so that I dont run into a problem once the car is lowered... and if anybody knows a good manufacturer for replica wheels feel free to post up as well..
With 19x11 from a z06 with 56mm offset you will need to run a 5/16 spacer at the least to bring them to a 50mm offset... I wouldn't worry about is the inside of the wheel rubbing the inner fender as much as the outer cutting the tire. Your going to have issues it the fender contacting the tire over bumps since you want to lower the car so for that you can roll the fender lip to keep it from cutting the tire. To get the wheel to sit even with the outside of the rear fender/qtr you need a wheel with 38-44mm offset and a 7.75-7.50 backspacing.

If your set on those wheels I wouldn't lower the car, or if your set on lowering the car I would get a different set of rims to run. Also run alot of poly parts to keep body movement to a minimum

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info