• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

LSx GTO owners..

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
I was looking at prices of 04-06 GTO's when I was looking at other cars on Cars.com , and they're in the price range of the other cars I was looking at with pretty low miles.

I have a few questions..

- How is fuel mileage on the highway / stop and go town driving (0-45 mph like) , how much does it cost to fill the tank with current prices ?

- If you have a manual trans, how strong are the clutches / etc? Do they need to be replaced, do they wear out easily ? I don't know much about manual transmissions other than how to drive one. The only thing I'm intimidated by is hills but I can manage. If I was to look at a car like this, I'd want a manual.. I've driven two LS2 GTO's with the 6spd manual but not the auto.

- How are they in the snow ?

I'm eyeing them out since insurance would be about the same for a GTO for me as it would be for an Impala SS S/C.. but it's a whole different league of cars..

t.i.a.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
get a 04. u can pick them up for under 15k w/ some miles (which isnt a big deal). clutches can go for awhile depending on the previous owner. i have no experience w/ lsx cars so i dont know a timeframe on clutch replacement.

driving it in the snow is no different then any other rwd car. toss some snow tires on it and dont drive like an idiot

and ure sure insurance is gonna be the same as an impala? find that hard to believe

Angus

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 12, 2007
HHI, SC
if you're worried about gas, then i would stay away from v8's. I get ave mix city/hwy 16-18 mpg's.

They are nice, and just like any other GM I bet, they replacement costs for parts can't be too high.

someone with real knowledge should be in here soon...

slowchevy

eat ass drive fast
Sep 10, 2007
Angus, you like the SS T/C's ?

if you're worried about gas, then i would stay away from v8's. I get ave mix city/hwy 16-18 mpg's.

They are nice, and just like any other GM I bet, they replacement costs for parts can't be too high.

someone with real knowledge should be in here soon...
I get 17-20 in city with the Impala and mid twenties on the highway.

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
ill be blunt and dont take this the wrong way even tho you will....i dont think a rwd/v8 is for you right now

but if u must, id recommend picking up a fbody. can be had for MUCH cheaper and ull get better out of the box performance than a gto (for the most part)

Runtz52

Runs like a turtle with downs syndrome
Oct 7, 2008
Manhattan
The clutches seem to last a while, my buddy got his 04 GTO with like 30k on it and it has 77k of him beeating the fuck out of it and it is just BARELY starting to slip, seems like GM put a decent unit in there, oh and he averages around 22 mpg mixed and he has the 6 spd

KaMaSuTrA

Resident Sexi Man
Aug 22, 2008
Chicago IL
Go with an 05-06 if your really dead set on a GTO. The 04 with the LS1 does not have enough power to get it moving the way the LS2 does in the 05-06s.

SRT-4 is a good option for a cheap boost fix.

Short shifting is the way to drive in the winter and have proper pedal control. Learning how to counter steer properly also helps.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info