• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

The great tuning debate.

The great tuning debate

• Take it to FLP and be done with it

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Sack up and tune it yourself

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • Get the street tune

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Stop spending money you dumbass and drive it untuned

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
Work is dead for the time being, and I haven't had the money to get my truck tuned. I can't bare to spend on anything non-essential right now, but I have been selling a lot of car parts.... If my nitrous kit sells, I am willing to put that money towards tuning. This is where Im torn on what to do.

For the last month or so I have been driving around on a CEL from the longtubes and the truck is running rich as hell. Im not about to try and run it like this all year.

Should I:

A- take it to FLP and have it dyno tuned for $500
-OR-
B- buy HP tuners and attempt to do it myself for $500+ cost of wideband+ learning the software
-OR-
C-Get it tuned by someone locally on the street for cheaper than FLP, but I would still need a wideband.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
no, just the regular. I dont have a wideband ATM, but there are ways around not having the pro version once I do pick up a wideband.

ya. this i know. through the egr i assume right? thats how I am planning on doing mine.

i moreover wish i would have gone with the pro for the ability of the black box tuning- something they don't advertise all too well on their site, or anywhere... the tuner interface has a button on it that you push to record, and you do not need a lap top to save information... quite badass.

I wish I would have gone with it as my laptop is fricken huge.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I have yet to use the black box option but i have a 15.4 so it's not to bad. I suppose if i went to a track that did not allow the laptop i would. I believe you can hook up the wideband through some sort of AC pressure sensor too.

i woulda loved to use the black box deal.

i hate using my laptop in my car... and itd be so easy to just hit one button.

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
There is a wealth of info on the HPTuner website...you could probably find a tune that already worked for somebody else and tweak from there, great option especially if you've never tuned before.

-Will

= FAIL MORE

Never use tables from someone else's tune on another car. Timing maybe. VE? MAF? No way.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
As dangerous as it is i do glance at my laptop to see if the KR bar is lit up, if so i let off. I need to find a way to split my OBD port so i can use my Scangauge and tuner at the same time.

I have used this UVscan software with my PT, it can turn on your SES light when you reach a specified KR (or any other parameter) The only shitty thing is that you need to manually reset the light to get it off, it wont turn off when the KR goes away.

Half Ass Magic

AKA TARZAN
Mar 23, 2009
Memphis
= FAIL MORE

Never use tables from someone else's tune on another car. Timing maybe. VE? MAF? No way.

I said you could use them as a BASE. Timing tables would be good, as well as all the small BS stuff like TQ MGT., trans pressures, etc....I wouldn't advise anyone use canned VE or MAF, thats stuff that needs to be tuned vehicle specific with some real datalog time and a wb02

-Will

Thread Info