• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

tbss owners please

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
If you are keeping it 100% stock, and can resist the temptation to beat on it more than once a week, the trans shouldnt be an issue. Just put a cooler on it and be done. If you plan to do just some small mods like a CAI, mailorder tune, catback, I would do corvette servos and the cooler. Anything beyond that, you REALLY need a transmission done. My stock transmission never gave me any trouble, but I never drove the damn thing either. There are numerous stories of guys with stock trucks destroying the trans before even hitting 50k miles.

RPM and Finishline are equal in my opinion. Both are very quality built units and will hold up to everything short of an all out race truck. Depending what you want to do with the truck will change what stall you want to put in it. If it will be used for towing, stick with a Yank PTB series converter. The lower the stall, the better the gas mileage, and the more driveability it will have. My truck has a fairly loose 3600 and it is difficult to accelerate from a stop without getting pretty high up in the RPMs. Inclamate weather is also something to consider with a large stall as well. The truck will be in higher RPMs, and powerband, which will break traction pretty easily in snow.

A

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
yeah the truck will mainly be a DD with the usual bolt-ons (intake/exhaust/ecu/etc - whatever will get it to low 13's) but im getting it so i can tow the neon the track. so far i know the trans in the truck now was rebuilt about 20,000mi ago and has some better clutchs and discs/plates? dont really know whats out there - and it has a external cooler....but i do drive all my cars like most people drive rental cars!

so i guess i should just start saving for a tranny

Fast Motorsports

Northside Badboy
Oct 16, 2008
A shift kit and a cooler with make the stock trans live for a long time. I know of quite a few with just these two mods to the trans that haven't had any isses. One turbo TBSS from MI that I sold a shift kit to runs consistant 11.0's and with just regular fluid changes hasnt had an issue in 40k miles.

SRT41320

TCG Elite Member
TCG Sponsor
Jun 11, 2007
Lake in the Hills - IL
A shift kit and a cooler with make the stock trans live for a long time. I know of quite a few with just these two mods to the trans that haven't had any isses. One turbo TBSS from MI that I sold a shift kit to runs consistant 11.0's and with just regular fluid changes hasnt had an issue in 40k miles.

yeah me and you gonna have to get together once i get mine - plus its been a while since me and jeff seen you

TBSS are lame I would buy something else :p

Just kidding I have 40k Miles beat the fuck out of my TBSS and my trans is holding up fine. =)
Probably just jinxed my self now.

If your going to TOW or FLOOR it put it in 3. And no overdrive and you will be good.

yeah i heard about about keeping it in 3rd - higher pressure or something

XxApollynxX

TCG Elite Member
Jun 2, 2008
Plainfield
Correct, the "3" position on the gear selector is direct drive. It should be thought of as "drive" and the trans is at is "BEST" when the gear selector is in "DIRECT DRIVE" or "3" It routes the fluid in the vavle body to maximize the clutch application and makes the trans the most efficient and stable that it can be in stock form...

Besides for spending a lot on gas if you drive alot I love the thing. No regrets.

Hatchmaster

cant ride for shit
Feb 11, 2009
DG
Correct, the "3" position on the gear selector is direct drive. It should be thought of as "drive" and the trans is at is "BEST" when the gear selector is in "DIRECT DRIVE" or "3" It routes the fluid in the vavle body to maximize the clutch application and makes the trans the most efficient and stable that it can be in stock form...

Besides for spending a lot on gas if you drive alot I love the thing. No regrets.

when do i get a piece with my diesel ford its hungry for some lsx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info