• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

13 Malibu "no AC due to high engine temp"

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
Wife's friends car. She says the warning comes on immediately after starting and the gauge never moves from cold on the dash.

Best I got from Google is that there are 2 temp sensors. One near "the drivers side in a plastic manifold" and the other in the radiator. Can anyone verify the locations before I order the parts? She says it's the 2.5L engine.. hopefully that is accurate.

Only asking for verification because when I call around to part stores they keep trying to sell me a thermostat with the housing, and that doesn't match the description I've been getting

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
what code is being thrown? a GM will set that message anytime there's an error with the cooling system, including when the thermostat isn't allowing the car to come up to temp. make sure the antifreeze is full and if you can get a readout of the ECT.

I'll have to scan it in the morning before I head to the parts store at around 9. I was just going off what she said and the solution from Google haha

CMNTMXR57

GM, Holden & Chrysler Mini-Van nut swinger
Sep 12, 2008
Elgin
IIRC correctly, this is an issue with the 2.5 and yes there are two ECT sensors.

1) tells the PCM what the temp is for fuel trimming.
2) tells the CANBUS what to relay to the dash gauge.

#2 is under the engine cover and while it looks tight it's pretty simple to R&R the sensor. A little retaining clip and it should come out. You shouldn't even lose any coolant in the process. This one fixes both issues (the A/C override and the low temp on the gauge on the dash).

Here is a pic of it.

2726770.png

Charlie_Boy7

Addict
May 10, 2010
University Park, IL
Real Name
Charles
IIRC correctly, this is an issue with the 2.5 and yes there are two ECT sensors.

1) tells the PCM what the temp is for fuel trimming.
2) tells the CANBUS what to relay to the dash gauge.

#2 is under the engine cover and while it looks tight it's pretty simple to R&R the sensor. A little retaining clip and it should come out. You shouldn't even lose any coolant in the process. This one fixes both issues (the A/C override and the low temp on the gauge on the dash).

Here is a pic of it.

2726770.png

Pepboys definitely ordered the wrong part.. they got one for the radiator and also the thermostat with the housing....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info