• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

4X conversion of non roller SBC w/retro roller cam

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Okay, the title is a damn mouth full but I'm trying to figure out how I can retrofit the engine I got from Cap42 with a retro roller in case I say fuck the Megasquirt idea. EFI Connection sells a kit that's about $700, which I truthfully cringe at spending that kind of bank without thinking about it first. What I have is:

-Non roller "010" SBC block.
-Comp retrofit roller cam
-Some form of cam button, not altogether sure at the moment. Could be roller or nylon
-Double roller timing chain.
-Cast Edelbrock timing cover

https://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/21-152/10002/-1

Holley says this isn't compatible with a cam button, but doesn't really say why. I'm wondering what opinions are on modding this cover for one. The other option would be to take the current timing cover, make a jig based on a Vortec 350 timing cover then modify accordingly. That is presuming the reluctor fits under the cover of course which it may not.

Any options here I'm missing? Or should I just say fuck it and spend the bread on the EFI Connection stuff?

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
If I recall, the cam button eliminates cam walking? I would contact the cam manufacturer to see if it's compatible with the year of the block. It might not need the cam button in certain applications.

You still have the Cam card?

To not need a cam button you need an oe roller block. The lobe profile of a flat tappet keeps it from walking. The lobes are tapered.

HILROD

TCG Elite Member
Oct 22, 2007
ELGIN
A few companies sell a timing cover with a reinforcement for the cam button. Some blocks also have the bosses to tap under the timing gear to use a stock roller cam retainer from an 80s to 90s small block. I ran a stock timing cover for years with roller cam conversion in an older smallblock so if it's done right the cover isn't an issue.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
A few companies sell a timing cover with a reinforcement for the cam button. Some blocks also have the bosses to tap under the timing gear to use a stock roller cam retainer from an 80s to 90s small block. I ran a stock timing cover for years with roller cam conversion in an older smallblock so if it's done right the cover isn't an issue.

Normally I would just go get another engine that was a roller block but this is a 383 with a 2pc rear main. It's a69-79 "010" block so not gonna have the lock plate unfortunately.

Mr_Roboto

TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
That's going to be an 88-95 TBI block not an earlier gen block. Definitely no bosses in it they didn't show up until around a decade after this casting #. I may do the EFI Connection stuff anyways, just because I can control a 4L80E with it. That alone would save me the cost and I'd be a reluctor wheel away from LS Coiling it too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mr_Roboto
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list