• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

03' Grand Am GT MAF Issues

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
Car is an 03 GT with the 3400, it was throwing an intermediate p0101 code so I changed the maf also threw in a new air filter. now I have p0101 and p0102, when i drive it around town I can't get the lights to come back after I reset them and the car drives perfect. However she drove the car maybe 20 miles a little more and she explains that it dies when slowing down, either backfire or misses and smells like rotten eggs. Getting about 23 mpgs. I inspected the ground and for the MAF circuit and it visually looked fine. I'm curious if I might be dealing with a clogged cat. Thoughts?? Thanks

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
the upstream O2 is easy to remove, then test drive with it unplugged and see if power picks up. the vac test is checking idle vac and part throttle load. if manifold vac drops to near zero at less than 100% throttle/100% load then exhaust is restricted
if its over 120k then its even more likely its plugged or nearly plugged
It stayed at 20hg at idle and at 2500rpm

Bub

Pitter Patter
TCG Premium
Sep 4, 2012
Spring Grove
The tits of this ride lasted about a week or two, although the dying was more intermittent it was still happening, swapped the maf again tested for plugged cat, inspected wiring and grounds, only notable find was a dry rotted pinched vac hose for the evap purge. Today was it's worst dying at every stop so I limped to Chevy and they diagnosed ecu. Bleh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info