• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

4.10 gears too much with a supercharger? 4th gen LS1 fbody M6

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Looking to start modifying my car after owning it for 5 years now. (Finally) I wanna get a 4.10 or 4.11 gear and some 315 tires on zr1 replica rims. Is this way too much gear if I put on a centrifugal supercharger in the future? I know the diff is gonna need to be replaced if I did go that route.

Also where's a good shop around here that can do the ring and pinion for me?

Mr. SBF

Keeping it Real with Ford Power!!!
May 12, 2015
Kenosha County
well I do have a lift... I guess I've just been told if you don't set the lash right you will have premature failure and a constant whining noise.

When using the same carrier it doesn't require as much set up as when starting starting with a new carrier atleast in my experience.

The trick is to reem out the center of a pair of setup pinion bearings so you can install and take them off easily multiple times to get the propper pinion shim depth. The carrier shims should remain the same side to side and those bearings don't usually go bad so no need to replace them. The pinion bearings obviously need to be replaced as well as their races need to be beat out and replaced to match the new bearings.

The pinion nut tension is important you will need a inch lb wrench. Too tight will smoke the bearings and too loose and the gears will have to much movement and eat eachother.

MrMezger996

Formerly CobraSki
TCG Premium
Jun 12, 2015
Hoffman Estates
Looking to start modifying my car after owning it for 5 years now. (Finally) I wanna get a 4.10 or 4.11 gear and some 315 tires on zr1 replica rims. Is this way too much gear if I put on a centrifugal supercharger in the future? I know the diff is gonna need to be replaced if I did go that route.

Also where's a good shop around here that can do the ring and pinion for me?

What trans are you running?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info