• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

GM 4.8 cyl head exh bolt

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
Very first hole in front . Bolt is broke off below the exhaust cyl head hole . (Meaning bolt is broke off about a 1/4 inch down in hole)

Drilled through it with a 3/16 bit . Used heat . Tried my easy outs it won't move .

Hole is now drilled out to 7/32 . There is still some of the bolt outer part left inside the hole .

I believe to tap this hole to the original size (8m x 1.25) , you would use a 17/64 bit . So I still have a little bit to go , just to get back to original size of hole .

Easy outs are tapered. So when I go to use them , the tap goes down into the hole , but bites into the top of the cylinder head hole . .. Because the bolt is broken down into the hole

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
TCG Premium
Nov 20, 2008
NWI
Ok... can you at least post a picture?

I mean, do you even know how much more of a bolt is left? I do NOT advise an easy out in this situation... they only make things worse....

You might want to start tapping and hope the remainder of the bolt starts to come out, but I cant be sure, post a pic

P40E

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2012
I'm not at work right now .

Like I said I've drilled all the way through the bolt . Which is about an inch long .

I'm thinking of drilling the hole to a cunt hair below original size and then use a tap that is for original thread size.

The hole will either work or not . If it doesn't , I want to know how much bigger I can go . Like to a metric 9m or 10m bolt size But we don't have 9m bolts at work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info