• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Feeler....does anyone know of problems with the '04 GTO?

DOC-Z

Chickun maka LOUSY housspaat!
Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
It's looking like time to start upgrading and I've been thinking about '04 GTO's w/ an automatic. As much as I would like a stick, I don't feel like replacing the clutch every year (because of the weight of the car, power and the fact I would-more than likely-burn the piss out of it).

Are there any real issues with them...mechanically? I know they are pretty heavy and handle like a wet turd. JFYI...I drove a '99 GTP, so I'm used to a car that handles bad in the twisties.

REVISION: ( posted about 40 min. after Mook. What I didn't state and what nobody seems to understand). It's been 3 years since I consistently drove a car with enough power to get out of it's own way. I'd burn the clutch out about once a year - AS AN ESTIMATE - because I have some time to make up for. My clutches normally last 3 years + ...or that's how long the one in my '91 T/A lasted before I blew the rear main seal and doused the bellhousing with a few drops of 10W 30 weight oil.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
A clutch every year?? You'd have to be the world's worst driver for that to happen.

No....I'll just be drag racing any and everyone from stoplight to stoplight. I put in a new clutch in my '00 about 2 months after I got it and have not had any problems with it in the almost 3 years since. I pounce on it on occasion, but the car is SOOO underpowered, there's hardly any point to it.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
My clutch is fine. Stock as fuck and going strong. You are doing something wrong

You can change the clutch fluid semi regularly though to help with the feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsw_KPmbHY0

Ranger method clutch fluid flush / Remote bleeder mod - Corvette Forum

Corvette guys came up with it.

With my 04 I complain more about the brakes than the power, but I am not a power junky and I only drive on the street so 350 ponies is more than enough to get my Cavalier going.

www.LS1GTO.com, go, read, enjoy.

DOC-Z

Oct 13, 2008
Johnsburg, IL.
Real Name
-Larry
Underpowered for the weight. Get an 05+

5.7 ('04 LS1) GTO = 350 hp
6.0 ('05 - '06 LS2) = 400 hp

A few minor mods, headers, larger diameter exhaust, a tune and I'll be at 400 w/in no time. :wink:

[MENTION=85]EmersonHart13[/MENTION] - I'll take you for a ride on a hardly used, twisted country road and if you don't leave shit stains on the seat, I'll be surprised.

EmersonHart13

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jul 18, 2007
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info