• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Thinking about buying a gto

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
Found an 06 with about 70k miles 1 owner.

What should i be looking for problem wise?

Are they easy to work on like the 3800?

Any other big coupes around 15k or under with a v8/rwd or awd less than 8 years old

Great motors.... I think easier to work on for some things, however pulling the trans I found was pretty tough. maybe thats just me. Parts are expensive though. a tie rod was over 75 dollars and its maybe 3 inches long lol

Bru

Staff member
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
I don't remember if this was 04 specific to mine, but look for door handle paint falling off and front bumper clips that disappear or fail and leave sections of the front bumper protruding. The make/model specific sites like mentioned above will give plenty of info as well for year specific info.

Red Alert

Addict
Aug 10, 2012
Inquire from the owner what he's done.

The biggest concerns will be suspension. If nothing has been done look to be replacing rear springs, shocks, struts, strut mount bushing, and radius rod bushings. Otherwise you blow through tires (front & rear)

Also.. You need to know where to look for parts. I picked up road safe tie rod ends for $50.

0GBlown

Regular
Oct 13, 2011
SouthEast
well the car is at the dealership, looks stock, ill test drive if it still there labor day weekend

granted i dont know if the e-price is just to get you in the door or legit.

looked on craigslist around my area didnt really find any 2006's lower than 16k and most had more miles and some had mods like headers, exhaust, and audio. I dont think i seen any with suspension work

im just looking for one to be a semi daily driver right now and then i would do more modding in 3 to 5 years time

mr.gto

Deleted New Name
Jul 27, 2009
You must've been doing something wrong mr. gto... Once I replaced everything on mine I was good, and I haven't heard of too many complaints from others about that issue after doing the necessary repairs. Maybe your foot was a little too heavy?

Was mostly for racing but it would still wear the Inside edge. I also have 275 tires on the rear. Fronts had no wear issue

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info