• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Lingenfelter Dynos Stock Chevy Camaro ZL1, Mods it and Shoots for the 10s

Mook

Mr. Manager
Staff member
Admin
May 23, 2007
Elgin
Real Name
Mike
The boys over at Lingenfelter Performance Engineering look to be on the short list of recipients of the new Chevy Camaro ZL1. And, like any good tuning house, the first thing they did was strap them -- yes, they have two -- down and run them on the dyno.

The big get here is the NOISE the ZL1 makes when pushed hard indoors. It is nothing short of glorious. Unfortunately, Lingenfelter doesn't show us the results of the dyno. Likely that's coming after they release the follow up video detailing the modifications they've done to the 580-horse Camaro. Modifications like a supercharger pulley, reflashed ECM, 160-degree thermostat and an LPE ported and polished air intake.

We know about these mods thanks to the boys over at Hot Rod who were called in to watch Lingenfelter attempt to be the first to launch the ZL1 into the 10s.

Beyond the power upgrades, LPE added a set of skinny front drag tires and Nitto NNT05R drag radials in back. Previously, the car had run an 11.03 @ 130 at Muncie Dragway. On this day at Milan Dragway in Michigan, the first run was an 11.22. See how the rest of the day went over at Hot Rod.

skip to 1:55

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8LDrTgD-uQ

When you get an email asking if you can be at the track tomorrow to photograph the first 2012 ZL1 Camaro breaking into the 10s, you don’t ask too many questions. When we rolled into Milan Dragway in Milan, Michigan, and met up with Mike Copeland of Lingenfelter Performance Engineering (LPE), the questions we figured you would want to ask started flowing.
The ZL1 that wore the Lingenfelter banner at the track had minimal modifications. The only underhood upgrades was the LPE was outfitted with were a supercharger pulley to bump up the boost, reflashed ECM, 160-degree thermostat and a LPE ported and polished air intake leading to a K&N air filter. The only other modifications to the car were swapping out the street performance tires for skinnies up front and Nitto NT05R drag radials out back.
This very car had run 11.03 at 130 mph at Muncie Dragway. With great air temperatures and the Milan track team prepping the starting line, it looked like a promising day.

The first pass was decent, posting an 11.22. During the next series of passes, an assortment of launched styles, shift points and tire air pressure showed varied results.

Although no one was complaining about making passes at a dragstrip for a couple of hours, the team could only capture an 11.11 at 128 mph during this track outing.

So, the illusive 10-second ZL1 Camaro is still illusive! But the crew at Lingenfelter vows to be back, and soon, to try to be the first!

Read more: The Race to the 10s! - Hot Rod Magazine Blog

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
LPE_ZL1_1-623x412.jpg

:fy:

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
:facepalm:

this is the first one out there doing anything... the first gt500's out weren't.

i really think this thing is goign to be quite a bit better than everyone ism aking it out to be... especially in the handling department with those nifty magnetic dealios.

That first sentence is kind of vague, can you be more specific?
Not to say that it isnt impressive by any means..but you certainly cant make any real argument as to it 'showing up' the GT500 in this aspect of racing because quite simply, it hasn't.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
this is a first car... the first zl1s out, just like the 1st anything out, aren't the best times for a car that float around the internet like fact, like how gt500s all run 10s, new 5.0 mustangs all run 11s, gto's all run 12s, every zo6 runs 10s, etc etc...

im saying there will be some guy that can drive and launch in better conditions going a good chunk quicker than this media output did, just like with all cars.

Jean Ralphio

beautiful, clean coal
May 28, 2008
this is a first car... the first zl1s out, just like the 1st anything out, aren't the best times for a car that float around the internet like fact, like how gt500s all run 10s, new 5.0 mustangs all run 11s, gto's all run 12s, every zo6 runs 10s, etc etc...

im saying there will be some guy that can drive and launch in better conditions going a good chunk quicker than this media output did, just like with all cars.

It is one of the first ZL1's to be tested, yes. Usually the first times to come out are done by one of the larger magazines or media outlets -- and its usually done in a stock car. Obviously this case is a little different than your typical scenario that you mentioned above. We're talking about LPE here; and everyone knows they have plenty of experience in racing high-powered cars. Will someone else run a faster ET with the same mods? I guess there's a fairly good chance -- and obviously a lot of factors go into that. I cant see all that much being shaved off, but your guess is as good as mine.
The only reason I chimed in was because of the GT500 comment, which gives the impression that this somehow "one-upped" the Shelby. Which really remains to be seen. I cant wait to see what a pulley/bolt-on 2013 GT500 will do in the hands of a reliable performance company.

Turk

Lt. Ron "Slider" Kerner
TCG Premium
Jan 21, 2008
LOL, dude, not many people are going to run better times than this. We have a high performance company running this car with its own damn pit crew. I highly doubt we'll see some random guy show up at lets say GLD and run better times.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
It is one of the first ZL1's to be tested, yes. Usually the first times to come out are done by one of the larger magazines or media outlets -- and its usually done in a stock car. Obviously this case is a little different than your typical scenario that you mentioned above. We're talking about LPE here; and everyone knows they have plenty of experience in racing high-powered cars. Will someone else run a faster ET with the same mods? I guess there's a fairly good chance -- and obviously a lot of factors go into that. I cant see all that much being shaved off, but your guess is as good as mine.
The only reason I chimed in was because of the GT500 comment, which gives the impression that this somehow "one-upped" the Shelby. Which really remains to be seen. I cant wait to see what a pulley/bolt-on 2013 GT500 will do in the hands of a reliable performance company.

i honestly said that first post to make something happen. i was bored.

with that being siad, we can all safely say though that i don't really think too many people including myself saw this thing going 11.0s with minimal work done due to its weight and irs....

LOL, dude, not many people are going to run better times than this. We have a high performance company running this car with its own damn pit crew. I highly doubt we'll see some random guy show up at lets say GLD and run better times.

what about that ranger dude that drives anything gm quicker than light? get him at the wheel... LOL AHHEHEHEEHEHEee

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004

Will you say the same when someone throws some mods at the first 2013 (650 hp) GT500?

Nobody should be surprised by the numbers, been saying this since they rumored the car. Give Lingenfelter another week or two and they'll get their timeslip.......no doubt. They know how to get good numbers at the strip.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
what about that ranger dude that drives anything gm quicker than light? get him at the wheel... LOL AHHEHEHEEHEHEee
Fuck that guy, the only time he ever races his car is if the DA is like -1500 feet and if MIR preps the track special for him. It's all about records and ego for him.

A few years ago he came out to the midwest and raced some guys Z06 at GLD. His numbers were decent, but nothing to write home about. He wasn't even the fastest driver in the car that day. Put him in regular conditions (the type the rest of us race in everyday) and he goes from becoming a great driver to just a real good driver.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Will you say the same when someone throws some mods at the first 2013 (650 hp) GT500?

Nobody should be surprised by the numbers, been saying this since they rumored the car. Give Lingenfelter another week or two and they'll get their timeslip.......no doubt. They know how to get good numbers at the strip.

absolutely. if you read any of my other posts on here, you will see i really :nutz: from nothing at all.

Fuck that guy, the only time he ever races his car is if the DA is like -1500 feet and if MIR preps the track special for him. It's all about records and ego for him.

A few years ago he came out to the midwest and raced some guys Z06 at GLD. His numbers were decent, but nothing to write home about. He wasn't even the fastest driver in the car that day. Put him in regular conditions (the type the rest of us race in everyday) and he goes from becoming a great driver to just a real good driver.

i agree completely, but at the same time, you understand what i am saying, when he drives a car to a pb or something... everyone knows about it, and the lesser knowledgeable car forum goers, take his times as applicable to everything and fact.

Lead Pipe

TCG Sub-par Member
TCG Premium
Nov 4, 2010
Lol, they don't like me ever since I turned to the dark side and I bash that overweight piece of shit every chance I get. The best part is I'm sure this post will be printed and brought to the next C5G board meeting. I'm public enemy #2 over there too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info