đź‘‹ INTRO Im back - but only for a limited time. Moving to FL, need some relocation assistance

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Hi all. Been a minute since I rage quit the site. Wanted to say bye to some of you that I don't see IRL, and only spoke to here. We decided that we have warn out our welcome here in IL. Daily driving my fast car has been challenging... And a long list of other reasons.

Well we decided to relocate to Tampa. Already resigned my job. Pooled all the money we will need, and even have several prospects already lined up down there for work.

The house situation is also figured out. Now we just need to pack and go. Problem is, I have no idea how to do this. In my old age(38), I refuse to move a house again on my own. I have the money, and would like to hire a company to come in and load, ship and unload the whole house. From Woodstock to our new house in Tampa. Timeframe is leaving 3/28, getting there 4/1. We will pack suit cases and drive our cars down there.

Anyone did the cross country move, and have some contacts you trust? I put out several feelers to companies online, and they all sound shady as shit or they are retarded expensive. I'm thinking $2500-$3k should cover our move. We are talking a three bedroom house, not loaded to the gills. No pool tables or giant entertainment centers.

Opinions? Thanks for the help. And I come in peace...

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Thanks Mike. Yeah I thought he lived down there. We have friends that moved to where we are going 2 years ago. They are living it up man. Talk about living your best life. Our little ones are going to be so happy being able to go outside all year. They have been locked up for months at this point, its really not doing us any favors staying here.

Resigning the best job I ever had was tough though. But there are hundreds of opportunities down there. Their economy is thriving. Cant wait to get out of here. We also have family that seems to have been bit by the florida bug. Once one family goes, it pushes others to follow.

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Good luck bud. As far as the moving expenses, I dont see it getting done for $2500-$3k by a reputable company. Probably need 4 movers at the minimum. Factor their hourly pay there and back, gas, tolls, and other traveling expenses. My driver at work does side jobs and he is $25hr per man plus truck costs. I do a lot of business with Reebie/Allied. I can ask my contact in the commercial moving dept for someone in residential.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Yeah^^^ I was going to say the same thing. My ex's brother moved from here to Arizona and it was $6500 all said and done and that was after shopping around for a long while. He also moved from an 850sqft apartment, FWIW.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
I have two quotes in my email. One is $2800 and the other is $3300. That’s door to door. But they were sketchy sounding guys that sounded like brokers. And I reserved a uhaul 26” for the move. $1900 for the trip but I would need to hire movers on both sides and drive it myself. I might try one of those quote guys and see what happens. I was hoping to get allied or mayflower to do it for $3k. They were closer to $5k.

10sec

I haz dat teddy bear smile.
TCG Premium
Jul 26, 2008
Definitely shop around, he was quoted almost double of what he ended up paying for a couple weeks, then everyone started getting more reasonable. He did nothing though, him and his wife drove down to AZ with his car and the moving company did everything, including bringing her car down there, so that might be why he paid so much more. Definitely remember what you're shipping/moving/damage so you don't want some shit company that ruins all of your stuff.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Yeah that's a good idea. I was just about to buy a DD here and retire the challenger, but why buy one here in IL? I'll just wait and get a rust free FL car. I might get a FL C6 vette too and just start over. Getting real sick of the dodge honestly. The vettes are a dime a dozen down there. Super cheap and "sunshine only"...lol

Just a thought.

FirstWorldProblems

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Sep 6, 2006
Crown point, IN
That's awesome, good for you.

I don't live in tax hellhole IL but i tell you, the weather really has me wishing I wasn't so entrenched in NWI. Even moving to louisville would be better..15-20* warmer on average is huge.

The kid comment hit home...we had our first in November and the little dude literally hasn't even seen the sun. Since all of our friends/fam/careers are here i'm going to have to address this by vacationing more from Jan-Mar.

Props to you

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
That's awesome, good for you.

I don't live in tax hellhole IL but i tell you, the weather really has me wishing I wasn't so entrenched in NWI. Even moving to louisville would be better..15-20* warmer on average is huge.

The kid comment hit home...we had our first in November and the little dude literally hasn't even seen the sun. Since all of our friends/fam/careers are here i'm going to have to address this by vacationing more from Jan-Mar.

Props to you

Yeah they are wasting away. Our kids love sports and swimming and riding their bikes. All things they are not able to do for 6 months straight basically. We are just a few weeks away from moving.

I should be starting a new job down there in two weeks. Then flying back to assist with my wife and kids for the two day drive down. We are all geared up and ready. All of the money has come in we were waiting for. Just a few loose ends to tie up.

The movers ended up being $2800 door to door. Not bad considering they will load and unload for us as well. Good google reviews too.

Our quality of life is going to be so much better. And I can finally DD the challenger without issue. But HOLY SHIT car insurance is more down there. I mean 3x of what we are paying now.

ZXMustang

Suh dude
Feb 19, 2019
Well tomorrow is the day. We’ve been packing all weekend through today. Truck comes at 11am and we drive out of here later in the evening. We are staying one night in a hotel and getting a fresh start on Wednesday morning. I’m excited to road trip the challenger. Should be a blast on the highway.

Anyway peace everyone. I’ll be stopping in from time to time. Going to enjoy the year round car culture. Probably end up in a corvette again soon lol. I start my new job Monday. Wish me and my family luck.

Thread Info