Forum Register TCG Mobile Casino Live Posting Feed Garage Arcade Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   The Chicago Garage > General Discussion > Food Aficionados

User Tag List

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Mr Baytchos
  • 2 Post By Shawn1112
  • 1 Post By daturbosix

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #1
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,441
Casino cash: $49034918
2.77 per day
Default weber gas grill (low/weak flame)

picked up this older genesis gold last fall. primo shape. dude barely ever used it, kept it in the garage, blah blah blah.

so i got it like around thanksgiving time last fall. used it a couple times through the winter, all was well.

go to grill some chicken the other night and i got a weak ass flame on all 3 burners, full tank though.. sooo did the regulator just take a shit? is that even common?

@Yaj Yak you probably had an issue like this before in your travels with quality used luxury grills
__________________
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY - 630.885.9333
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
 
Mr Baytchos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hampshire, IL
Posts: 6,408
Casino cash: $18863800
1.47 per day
Default

Turn off all the burners and the tank. Open tank first and then light the burners in order.

New weber's have a safety thing if the burners are open when you open the tank it limits the amount of gas that comes out
Mr Baytchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #3
 
Shawn1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Streamwood
Posts: 6,265
Casino cash: $67438300
1.93 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baytchos View Post
Turn off all the burners and the tank. Open tank first and then light the burners in order.

New weber's have a safety thing if the burners are open when you open the tank it limits the amount of gas that comes out
Either that or see what I copied and pasted below. I had your issue and did what I'm posting and fixed my issue

Problem: Low Flame, Low Temperature
This is a common problem with many grills and is almost always because of the fuel line regulator (the UFO-shaped thing on the gas hose near the fuel tank). Regulators tend to be sticky. When they stick, they limit the amount of gas and will not generate a good grilling temperature. To reverse this, release the pressure on the regulator to restore normal fuel flow by following these steps:


Open the grill lid.
Turn off the gas at the propane tank.
Disconnect the gas line from the tank.
Turn all control valves to high (including the side burner if you have one).
Wait for one minute.
Turn all control valves to off.
Reconnect the gas line to the tank.
Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
Light the grill.
Your grill should now heat normally.
To keep the regulator from sticking again, turn off the grill's control valves first, then turn off the tank valve or natural gas supply line. Always open the tank valve slowly. If this doesn't work give it a second try. Gently tapping the regulator during step five may help. If you still have a low flame, then you probably have a faulty regulator that will need to be replaced.
The Beast and Spivitz like this.
Shawn1112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
 
1quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: coal city
Posts: 19,126
Casino cash: $140987447
4.59 per day
Default

probably the regulator, take one off something else and see if it fixes it, I doubt it has any special calibration one off another grill should work fine, sometimes if the tank is really cold it will do that it shouldn’t have been that cold the other night
__________________
2016 GT 5.slow
1quick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
 
Aircal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Countryside
Posts: 3,568
Casino cash: $10392638
0.92 per day
Default

Check for spiders first.......Actually spider webs to be exact.
__________________
People who are not sensitive to design, people who don't care about vehicles, people who view a vehicle as an appliance, they just default to Toyota. We will never win that one." Bob Lutz

1973 Thunderbird, 1980 Pontiac Trans Am, 2004 Acura TL, 2007 Pontiac G6 Convt.
Aircal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,811
Casino cash: $110817000
1.81 per day
Default

Also check the burner vents aren't clogged. Happened to me one year. There are "vents" maybe they're called shutters, can't remember, at the end of each burner and they can get clogged.
__________________
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
2002 Mustang GT
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:04 AM   #7
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,441
Casino cash: $49034918
2.77 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1112 View Post
Either that or see what I copied and pasted below. I had your issue and did what I'm posting and fixed my issue

Problem: Low Flame, Low Temperature
This is a common problem with many grills and is almost always because of the fuel line regulator (the UFO-shaped thing on the gas hose near the fuel tank). Regulators tend to be sticky. When they stick, they limit the amount of gas and will not generate a good grilling temperature. To reverse this, release the pressure on the regulator to restore normal fuel flow by following these steps:


Open the grill lid.
Turn off the gas at the propane tank.
Disconnect the gas line from the tank.
Turn all control valves to high (including the side burner if you have one).
Wait for one minute.
Turn all control valves to off.
Reconnect the gas line to the tank.
Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
Light the grill.
Your grill should now heat normally.
To keep the regulator from sticking again, turn off the grill's control valves first, then turn off the tank valve or natural gas supply line. Always open the tank valve slowly. If this doesn't work give it a second try. Gently tapping the regulator during step five may help. If you still have a low flame, then you probably have a faulty regulator that will need to be replaced.
i have never heard of such a thing. but fuck, ill sure give it a shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1quick View Post
probably the regulator, take one off something else and see if it fixes it, I doubt it has any special calibration one off another grill should work fine, sometimes if the tank is really cold it will do that it shouldn’t have been that cold the other night
yeah, its not a temp thing. that im sure of.
IF it turns out to be the regulator, i was going to rob it off the next grill i see for scrap. just not sure how to actually "test" it for failure.
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
 
1quick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: coal city
Posts: 19,126
Casino cash: $140987447
4.59 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daturbosix View Post
i have never heard of such a thing. but fuck, ill sure give it a shot



yeah, its not a temp thing. that im sure of.
IF it turns out to be the regulator, i was going to rob it off the next grill i see for scrap. just not sure how to actually "test" it for failure.
I can’t remember but there should be a psi rating for down stream psi, would have to make up some sort of adapter for a pressure gauge, probably a lot easier to just swap out with another one and try it out
1quick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:38 PM   #9
Go ahead. I'll catch up.
 
Flyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Posts: 45,204
Casino cash: $226357900
8.08 per day
Default

Try the burners off, gas off, gas on, burners on thing first. I have experienced it before, too.

If that doesn't work and it's not any of the items listed above, examine your burner tubes for rust or a compressed or dented area that might be blocking the flow. Burner tubes can be easily replaced if necessary. It's probably not the tubes but I'm just throwing it in there that it's easy to replace the tubes if you ever need to.
Flyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
 
Gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 1,449
Casino cash: $29060300
0.97 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Baytchos View Post
Turn off all the burners and the tank. Open tank first and then light the burners in order.

New weber's have a safety thing if the burners are open when you open the tank it limits the amount of gas that comes out
Ah shit I always wondered why mine did this. Thanks!
Is also not a Weber just a $200 no name
But I always just closed everything then opener the tank first and no issues
__________________
your local welding and plasma cnc dude
Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #11
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,441
Casino cash: $49034918
2.77 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1112 View Post
Either that or see what I copied and pasted below. I had your issue and did what I'm posting and fixed my issue

Problem: Low Flame, Low Temperature
This is a common problem with many grills and is almost always because of the fuel line regulator (the UFO-shaped thing on the gas hose near the fuel tank). Regulators tend to be sticky. When they stick, they limit the amount of gas and will not generate a good grilling temperature. To reverse this, release the pressure on the regulator to restore normal fuel flow by following these steps:


Open the grill lid.
Turn off the gas at the propane tank.
Disconnect the gas line from the tank.
Turn all control valves to high (including the side burner if you have one).
Wait for one minute.
Turn all control valves to off.
Reconnect the gas line to the tank.
Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
Light the grill.
Your grill should now heat normally.
To keep the regulator from sticking again, turn off the grill's control valves first, then turn off the tank valve or natural gas supply line. Always open the tank valve slowly. If this doesn't work give it a second try. Gently tapping the regulator during step five may help. If you still have a low flame, then you probably have a faulty regulator that will need to be replaced.

forgot to update. this worked.

thank you, sir!
Shawn1112 likes this.
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,441
Casino cash: $49034918
2.77 per day
Default

did burgers last night. i hate grilling burgers. like nomatter what i do, i always battle flareups.

might bite the bullet for those grillgrates.
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #13
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87,394
Casino cash: $139424000
19.79 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daturbosix View Post
did burgers last night. i hate grilling burgers. like nomatter what i do, i always battle flareups.

might bite the bullet for those grillgrates.
throw some cast iron flat top dealios on and let'r eat

__________________
01 525i
01 turbo pricks
13 gas 3500hd cclb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw View Post
TCG: We pull vanity fair models in our F150’s because Tesla’s are unsafe.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #14
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,441
Casino cash: $49034918
2.77 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaj Yak View Post
throw some cast iron flat top dealios on and let'r eat

'cept then i can only do like 3 at a time
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #15
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87,394
Casino cash: $139424000
19.79 per day
Default

why?
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #16
Forum Sponsor
 
daturbosix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Aurora
Posts: 11,441
Casino cash: $49034918
2.77 per day
Default

aint them small?
daturbosix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:29 AM   #17
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87,394
Casino cash: $139424000
19.79 per day
Default

there's different size ones, just get whatever occupies your grill space best.
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 AM   #18
Harbor Master
 
Yaj Yak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 87,394
Casino cash: $139424000
19.79 per day
Default

i have two that ive used on my gas grill in the past
Yaj Yak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:26 AM   #19
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,811
Casino cash: $110817000
1.81 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daturbosix View Post
did burgers last night. i hate grilling burgers. like nomatter what i do, i always battle flareups.

might bite the bullet for those grillgrates.
Bite the bullet and get a Blackstone griddle. I rarely do burgers on the grill anymore....almost always the griddle.
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:10 PM   #20
older than marty
 
Pro Stock John's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The 60618
Posts: 570
Casino cash: $7498100
0.20 per day
Default

My Weber (nat gas piped to house) has weak flame, has shut off when I've used it. Not sure I will mess with it or not.... It's about 10 years old.

I'm actually really interested in a Blackstone griddle if I can convert it to nat gas.
__________________
sig.... hail
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:57 PM   #21
 
Ryan02Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Mount Prospect
Posts: 9,811
Casino cash: $110817000
1.81 per day
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
My Weber (nat gas piped to house) has weak flame, has shut off when I've used it. Not sure I will mess with it or not.... It's about 10 years old.

I'm actually really interested in a Blackstone griddle if I can convert it to nat gas.
I converted mine to natural gas. They have a kit you can buy from Blackstone that comes with new jets and a nat gas hose.

Takes about 30 minutes to do, very simple.
Ryan02Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.6 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
no new posts