weber gas grill (low/weak flame)

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
picked up this older genesis gold last fall. primo shape. dude barely ever used it, kept it in the garage, blah blah blah.

so i got it like around thanksgiving time last fall. used it a couple times through the winter, all was well.

go to grill some chicken the other night and i got a weak ass flame on all 3 burners, full tank though.. sooo did the regulator just take a shit? is that even common?
[MENTION=19]Yaj Yak[/MENTION] you probably had an issue like this before in your travels with quality used luxury grills

Shawn1112

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2010
Streamwood
Turn off all the burners and the tank. Open tank first and then light the burners in order.

New weber's have a safety thing if the burners are open when you open the tank it limits the amount of gas that comes out

Either that or see what I copied and pasted below. I had your issue and did what I'm posting and fixed my issue

Problem: Low Flame, Low Temperature
This is a common problem with many grills and is almost always because of the fuel line regulator (the UFO-shaped thing on the gas hose near the fuel tank). Regulators tend to be sticky. When they stick, they limit the amount of gas and will not generate a good grilling temperature. To reverse this, release the pressure on the regulator to restore normal fuel flow by following these steps:

Open the grill lid.
Turn off the gas at the propane tank.
Disconnect the gas line from the tank.
Turn all control valves to high (including the side burner if you have one).
Wait for one minute.
Turn all control valves to off.
Reconnect the gas line to the tank.
Slowly turn on the gas at the tank.
Light the grill.
Your grill should now heat normally.
To keep the regulator from sticking again, turn off the grill's control valves first, then turn off the tank valve or natural gas supply line. Always open the tank valve slowly. If this doesn't work give it a second try. Gently tapping the regulator during step five may help. If you still have a low flame, then you probably have a faulty regulator that will need to be replaced.

Reactions: LikeABauce302

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
probably the regulator, take one off something else and see if it fixes it, I doubt it has any special calibration one off another grill should work fine, sometimes if the tank is really cold it will do that it shouldn’t have been that cold the other night

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff
Either that or see what I copied and pasted below. I had your issue and did what I'm posting and fixed my issue

This is a common problem with many grills and is almost always because of the fuel line regulator (the UFO-shaped thing on the gas hose near the fuel tank). Regulators tend to be sticky. When they stick, they limit the amount of gas and will not generate a good grilling temperature. To reverse this, release the pressure on the regulator to restore normal fuel flow by following these steps:

Open the grill lid.
Wait for one minute.
Light the grill.
To keep the regulator from sticking again, turn off the grill's control valves first, then turn off the tank valve or natural gas supply line. Always open the tank valve slowly. If this doesn't work give it a second try. Gently tapping the regulator during step five may help. If you still have a low flame, then you probably have a faulty regulator that will need to be replaced.

i have never heard of such a thing. but fuck, ill sure give it a shot

probably the regulator, take one off something else and see if it fixes it, I doubt it has any special calibration one off another grill should work fine, sometimes if the tank is really cold it will do that it shouldn’t have been that cold the other night

yeah, its not a temp thing. that im sure of.
IF it turns out to be the regulator, i was going to rob it off the next grill i see for scrap. just not sure how to actually "test" it for failure.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
i have never heard of such a thing. but fuck, ill sure give it a shot

yeah, its not a temp thing. that im sure of.
IF it turns out to be the regulator, i was going to rob it off the next grill i see for scrap. just not sure how to actually "test" it for failure.

I can’t remember but there should be a psi rating for down stream psi, would have to make up some sort of adapter for a pressure gauge, probably a lot easier to just swap out with another one and try it out

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Try the burners off, gas off, gas on, burners on thing first. I have experienced it before, too.

If that doesn't work and it's not any of the items listed above, examine your burner tubes for rust or a compressed or dented area that might be blocking the flow. Burner tubes can be easily replaced if necessary. It's probably not the tubes but I'm just throwing it in there that it's easy to replace the tubes if you ever need to.

Gamble

TCG Elite Member
May 23, 2015
Turn off all the burners and the tank. Open tank first and then light the burners in order.

New weber's have a safety thing if the burners are open when you open the tank it limits the amount of gas that comes out

Ah shit I always wondered why mine did this. Thanks!
Is also not a Weber just a $200 no name
But I always just closed everything then opener the tank first and no issues

daturbosix

HNIC @ GoodFellas Garage
TCG Sponsor
Mar 2, 2008
Aurora
Real Name
Jeff

Open the grill lid.
Wait for one minute.
Light the grill.

forgot to update. this worked.

thank you, sir!

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
did burgers last night. i hate grilling burgers. like nomatter what i do, i always battle flareups.

might bite the bullet for those grillgrates.

throw some cast iron flat top dealios on and let'r eat

lodge-cast-ironlod-lpgi3griddle-ribbed-flat-10-x-20-5317-142.jpg

Chet Donnelly

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 19, 2004
My Weber (nat gas piped to house) has weak flame, has shut off when I've used it. Not sure I will mess with it or not.... It's about 10 years old.

I'm actually really interested in a Blackstone griddle if I can convert it to nat gas.

I converted mine to natural gas. They have a kit you can buy from Blackstone that comes with new jets and a nat gas hose.

Takes about 30 minutes to do, very simple.

Mr_Roboto

Doing the jobs nobody wants to
TCG Premium
Feb 4, 2012
Nashotah, Wisconsin (AKA not Illinois)
Something I will warn you of is that with my Genesis I had the regulator stop working. I swapped another on but I pulled the tank fitting off to salvage it for a later use. When I did I found out there was corrosion in the port that let the gas into the regulator. It's something worth checking if you ever have the issue pop up again.

V

Victoria

Open the grill lid.
Wait for one minute.
Light the grill.
This worked perfectly! Thank you!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info