Buying Steak in Bulk

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
$3.99 lb. for freshly butchered New York Strip.

Check out the marbling.

rH23pw6.jpg

Now, how do I cut this? Had to watch a youtube video after chopping off the first piece poorly.

RfO593o.jpg

Stack of steaks is growing.

9m7cL1f.jpg

Ready for the freezer.

4ycdLGb.jpg

13 steaks for $46. Next time, I may do an even dozen or 11 steaks and make them a little thicker. I measured these and they are between an inch and a quarter and an inch and a half. 2" next time?

XMTQbrl.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Nicely done!

Are these for dry-aging?

Next time I will buy a whole ribeye and dry age it. I will post it unless one of you guys does it before me (I'll probably post it anyways). I already had these cut yesterday when I posted the dry age thread. I'm thrilled with the way the meat looks. It's not the widest N.Y. Strip I have had but other than that, I like them. Never tried steaks from this market store before but reviews are great and I'm hoping the quality is as good as the meats I have tried from them. Their chicken thighs were phenomenal. Pan sausage is awesome although I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. 73% hamburger has too much grease. 80% is too lean. I was going to combine them but they were out of 73%. Next time...

I spent $120 at this place and got two stand up freezer shelves full of meat plus a lot of veggies and some butcher paper wrapped butter with the only ingredients being cream and salt. No preservatives or adulterants. It's good. Tastes pure.

I'll take pics of the T Bones I bought when I cook them tomorrow. I may do a garlic compound butter plus mushrooms on them. You guys can tell I'm in love with this farmer's market. So inexpensive and good quality so far except for the dryness of the 80/20 hamburger. Worth the 40 min. ride to hicksville. (I mean nice rural people areaville) They cut out the middle men and the meat and veggies go from farmer/rancher directly to store.

I was thinking that freezing the meat doesn't dry age them like putting them in the fridge does. Makes sense with the temp. and frozen/non frozen differences.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Every August, my father in law, brother in law, and myself get meat from a butcher (a whole cow) and sometimes a couple pigs. We split it up 3 ways and it feeds us all. Fills up all our freezers (chest and fridge/freezer). Comes out to a couple dollars per pound.

That's awesome. I have thought about doing that.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
Only downside is paying everything up front. We pay half off the bat, then the other half when we pick up. You can order 1/4 cow, 1/2, ect. It's worth it. You also tell them how big or small you want the cuts.

My wife will pull out a single chuck blade or round steak and cut that in 3rds for her, my daughter, and myself.

importcrew

Forum Sponsor
TCG Premium
Jan 26, 2008
Hampshire
It's always best to cook it as soon as possible or within a few days for best taste. But cooking a frozen steak 3 months down the road still tastes good. The meat lasts all year and depending on how it's stored, shouldn't be a problem. As long as there's no freezer burns, or thawing and refreezing then you should be good.

But again, best taste is when it's cooked shortly after purchase. Buy for less than $2/lb for all kinds of cuts, I'll gladly freeze the meat I purchase in bulk. My wife and I do still purchase other meats that we don't have or run out of. I actually may go and buy a brisket soon and smoke that in the electric smoker.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info