Steamers? Steamers!

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I discovered I had a forgotten steamer sitting on a shelf in my pantry. It's like finding a new toy that was never played with.

I rushed out to Sam's Club and grabbed some of the Nathan's hot dogs which are the same as they serve in their restaurants. I like them and wanted to try making my own.

Problem is I couldn't replicate the Sam's Club flavor at first. No matter how long I steamed them, they weren't the same. Eventually, they would split apart while still not tasting the same.

So, I thought about what happens to Sam's hot dogs (they sit) and switched to a steam/warm/steam/warm method of 5 mins. on and 5-10 mins. off. After an hour of this, I had a hot dog that was pretty close to what Sam's sells. The sitting time matures the flavor.

Now, I want to see what else I can steam. Anybody have good results with steam cooking and suggestions?

Lobster? Corn? Rice? Etc.?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I thought it was a valid comparison.

We're all car enthusiasts and some of us are food enthusiasts as well.

I just had a couple of very good hot dogs for lunch. It's easy to use the steamer, just have to fill it with water and push a couple buttons. I still haven't figured out if I can use the timer for a cook/warm/cook/warm cycle.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'd get this but that would just be over the top and get me divorced.

61BXew%2Bug4L._SL1000_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ALLM2S/?tag=tcg21-20

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
How does the broccoli turn out? Good, I imagine?

Granted, the steamer needs to be cleaned but it takes a minute to run some soapy water and wipe it clean.

Can't wait until crab legs go on sale.

In other food prep news, I keep looking at the popcorn poppers when I'm at Goodwill (dropping stuff off and/or checking out what they have. It's amazing how many people take new clothes with tags still on them and donate them. Goodwill sells them for a couple bucks. I picked up 5 dress shirts that were new or barely worn for $12.

If it wasn't so easy (and cheap) to toss half a cup of kernels into a paper lunch bag with some salt and microwave them, I'd get one of the poppers.

Speaking of salt, per Alton Brown, you can take regular salt and run it through a food processor to get popcorn salt (again much cheaper than buying it).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info