Let's Talk Salts & Peppers

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have been researching salt and pepper. Currently, I use sea salt in my salt grinder and grind Sam's Club peppercorns in my pepper grinder.

Decided to reward myself for a closing this week with some gourmet salt and pepper.

I ordered Maldon Sea Salt Flakes because they seem to win a lot of the finishing salt reviews.

Added some Aztec Sea Salt for the grinder.

I finished the order with some Tellicherry peppercorns because Tellicherry pepper seems to be another top winner in pepper taste tests. I'll post reviews after I use them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00017028M/?tag=tcg21-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYIQH1E/?tag=tcg21-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001M0Z6Q/?tag=tcg21-20

BTW, I also ordered some insecticide and herbicide for my yard and put them in a separate order. Don't want Amazon shipping my salt and pepper in the same box as insecticide and herbicide. LOL.

Z28Camaro

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2015
Metamora
The type of grinder you use for your pepper can make a huge difference. I have a CrushGrind mechanism in a grinder I had custom made several years ago and it works great and no need to adjust it once set. Very consistent grind. Pair that with some Penzey's Special Extra Bold and you have a really good combo.

OffshoreDrilling

This is my safe space
TCG Sponsor
TCG Premium
HVAC Guy
Aug 28, 2007
Homer Glen
38YFAnd.jpg

just came in to post this.

I use the McCormack sea salt and pepper grinders. not that into fancy food, I've thought about buying some pink salt though

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Reviews are in. Let's start with the Tellicherry peppercorns because they're easier to review. Great taste. More "peppery" than store bought. Tastes fresher, too. Works well in my ceramic grinder. Thumbs up for this one.

Onto the salts.

Maldon salt is good tasting and the crystals look fancy. I put it in a glass jar so we can grab a pinch whenever we need to "finish" salt anything. Crystals are larger than table salt and this product is not supposed to melt well so I don't know how good a cooking salt it will be. This is more of a pull it out when you make steaks for guests salt. Thumbs up.

Aztec sea salt. Let's start off by saying this salt does not work in my grinder. First it was too wet. Sea salts are from the sea, after all, and some of them have quite a bit of moisture in them. I spread the salt on a baking sheet and put it in a warm oven that I turned off after it reached 250*. Two 20 minute sessions of this dried the salt out. After drying, I tried it in the grinder again. Still does not grind as well as my previous generic sea salt. Tastes good but it's a pain in the butt to use. May be too much work for salt. At the least, it's not pairing well with my grinder so I either need to buy a different grinder or pull out my mortar and pestle before I put it in the grinder.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info