cooking steaks directly on charcoal

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/01/d...-cooking.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0#

hmmmmm want to try... with a piece of not expensive meat.

We’ve never been the kind of guys to worship outdoor grilling gear and technology. When we were growing up, Dad set the tone, making do with a rusty hardware store hibachi and a metal chimney. We’ve written about the ascetic thrill of using government-issue grills in state parks.

But recently we picked up a trick from a Dallas chef that has rocked our minimalist approach to its foundation: We cook meats directly on the coals.

No, the precious porterhouses do not incinerate, even though the heat is consistently 800 to 1,000 degrees. The char is robust and earthy, but never too ashy or excessive, even when we use thinner cuts like hanger and skirt.

In fact, the method promises to reduce anxiety at our outdoor parties this summer by making the grilling speedier and more consistent, with far less sooty flare-up than when we raise our steaks a few inches onto a grate above the coals. (That air space between the meat and the heat provides oxygen for combustion.)

This is especially advantageous with fatty chops like pork and lamb, which turn out beautifully when you go commando and toss them directly onto the glowing coals.

Get regular updates from NYT Cooking, with recipe suggestions, cooking tips and shopping advice. And download Cooking for iPhone and iPad in the App Store.

Thank Tim Byres, an evangelist for live-fire cooking in his Smoke restaurants, who demonstrated the technique in May for a segment of our new TV show, “Southern Uncovered,” on Ovation.

The producers were secretly hoping for an Icarus moment, some kind of spectacular calamity on the restaurant’s 10-foot-long open fire pit, but the only pyrotechnics were in our brains; this simple act demolished everything we thought we knew about cooking proteins.

Even Mr. Byres’s richly marbled five-pound “Eisenhower steak” (a Brobdingnagian rib-eye with short rib attached, about two feet long), when cooked 10 minutes on each side, emerged with just a couple of silver dollars’ width of char.

The sugary, spicy dry rub he had patted into the beef before it hit the fire caramelized into a nice crust with that crave-worthy wisp of smoky bitterness that is the objective of outdoor cooking, and so welcome against the sweet richness of luscious protein and browned fat.

He credits President Dwight D. Eisenhower, a native of Denison, Tex., with turning him on to this technique.

“I heard a rumor of Ike grilling these really thick four-inch sirloins,” said Mr. Byres, who tracked down a 1953 article in The Miami Daily News that confirmed his hunch: Eisenhower, it said, “rubs the steak with oil and garlic and then, as the horrified guests look on, casually flings the steak into the midst of the red and glowing coals.”

It should be noted that only natural chunk charcoal (not briquettes) ignited in a chimney is recommended, so that wood is the only ingredient touching the meat.

20150701STEAK-slide-DZ24-jumbo.jpg

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
want. i haz wood charcoal ready to roll at home too. nice thick ribeye would be delicious like that. quick too, i think that would be the hard part, timing it right.

The ceramic sear plate/burner on my grill heats up to about 1,100 degrees and that's what I cook my steaks on; which will be virtually the same amount of heat as the coals method. If you like it rare on the inside then start out with the following approach and refine from there depending on preference: Note: This is for a ~1.5" thick cut of steak, adjust time accordingly for thinner cuts.

Prep:
-Season to preference
-Let steaks get to room temperature for about 2-3 hours ( do not worry, they won't go bad or otherwise be unsafe to eat whatsoever)
-Melt a stick of butter in microwave to soak steaks in just before throwing on grill (if you like this way)

Cooking:

Side 1: 25 seconds
Side 2: 25 seconds

Side 1 again: 25 seconds, rotated 90* for good crust
Side 2 again: 25 seconds, rotated 90* for good crust

Note: If you do not soak in melted butter first then add 5 seconds to time for sides: If you like Pittsburgh style rare then definitely add butter and add 10 seconds to the times above. These are summertime cooking times so add 5 seconds for every 30 degrees of ambient temp drop. In the dead of winter (~ -20) I have to cook each side for a total of about 1:30 to get close to the way I like it which is Pittsburgh rare.

Edge 1: 15-20 seconds
Edge 2: 15-20 seconds
Edge 3: 15-20 seconds
Edge 4: 15-20 seconds

Note: Pittsburgh rare do 25 seconds on each edge to render fat more and give it a charred crust.

I am a firm believer when it comes to cooking steak on the highest manageable heat you can possibly get because it can get the outside done with a nice char (or just brown if you so choose) but while still being able to keep the inside quite rare. If you like the inside less rare then after searing just throw on normal part of grill for a few minutes. I see that as sacrilege, but to each his own.

If they are indeed cooking that steak at a temp of almost 1,000* then I completely disagree with cooking it for 10 minutes on each side. I like quite a hefty amount of char on my steak but that is entirely too long for that temp! Also, a 4" thick steak is plain retarded. It takes too long, too big to eat unless you are a grizzly bear, and too thick to consistently cook. I will stick to ~ -1.5" thick steaks.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have done this years ago. The recipe called for 3" steaks. The trick was to pour half an inch of salt on the meat and then flip it onto the coals. The salt provided a buffer between the meat and charcoal. Then, when ready to turn, the top was lathered with a 1/2" of salt and flipped. Total cooking time was longer than regular steak cooking. The steaks were NOT salty and tasted great.

It's a lot of fun to go into a butcher and ask for 3" steaks. :smile:

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
If you're afraid of trying it with a good piece of meat, buy the cheapest steak you can and do this trick with salt:

https://youtu.be/ai-A9GX4lrA

It's only skirt steak so, what's the worst that could happen? You burn it? It will still taste good. Won't cost an arm and a leg.

No shit! It's not like any of you are trying this for the first time with some kobe wagyu ribeyes or anything! Even if you do screw a decent ribeye up you are only out about $15-$20. Skirt steak is even more cheap. Experiment away fellas! It's the only way to get better. :bigthumb:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info