can someone school me on the whole sous vide things

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Think about what you are trying to do when you cook food. You are trying to hear it to a certain temperature to break down certain parts of the tissues and render fat into something that will transfer flavor.

Typically when you cook something like a piece of steak, you use a grill or hot pan or oven. Now to hit an internal temp of say 130* for a perfect medium rare you are cooking the thing at 350* plus and just hoping that you don't burn the outside and the inside gets warm enough.

Let's say you had a way to regulate the temperature more closely- say water and an electric heater. That is the point of sous vide. If you want an internal temp of 130, you set the water to 130 and leave the fucker in there. There is no way you can overcook the outside before the inside is done so it takes the guesswork out of cooking.

boogeyman

T-BURD
Sep 25, 2012
demotte in
^^ thats what i was trying to get at thank you. makes sense put that way im not professional chef by any means and i prefer to low and slow way of cooking meat anyhow so this is perfect for me
it also seems that vacuuming the meat in a bag with all the spices and sauce is the way to go as well since nothing gets diluted in the water or burned off in the fire

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• boogeyman
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list