wombat's sous vide adventures

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
To spin off of [MENTION=19]Kay Jay[/MENTION]'s thread, I also picked up an Anova Sous Vide hand vacuum sealer thingy for $20 at target, which came with 2 bags.

Note: I bought the 6'' container like a dolt, so I had to rig my anova a little bit for it to work. (Got the right container coming in tomorrow).

zZuMVQN.jpg

Last night I did steak, see results below. I did it at 154* but for only about an hour. The lady friend doesn't like rare steak, so I tried to please her...she didn't even eat :roflpicard: Still turned out delicious. My only complaint is the thinner portions of the steak were almost over done, but the picture below was where it was the most delicious.

n1kFaBK.jpg

wWc0QOj.jpg
(blurry picture is blurry)

Tonight is pork tenderloin, two of 'em in seperate bags. Dried off, rubbed with garlic sea salt, and a garlic and herb spice mix, topped with the carnitas slow cooker sauce and a glob of butter. Will be going in @ 135* for 3-4hrs, here's a teaser:

5TOjpGJ.jpg

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
Basically storage as well as being able to use any container shape you want. Obviously that unit is nice because it is insulated and has a lid, but it's harder to clean and takes up a shit ton of counter space. With the anova you just tuck it away when not in use. Kinda hard with something the size of a microwave

wombat

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 29, 2007
WI
So whats the benefit of the Heater stick do-jigger compared to this:

Amazon.com: Sous Vide Supreme Demi Water Oven, Black, SVD-00101: Slow Cookers: Kitchen & Dining

Just the amount of space used I take it?

I'm assuming I'm missing from other threads why you don't just use a large pot?

I would be afraid of picking up something like that and limiting myself. For example, if I want to cook 10 lbs of pork for a party, or 5 slabs of ribs, I just get a big enough container and stick the Anova in! Plus what [MENTION=236]Stink Star Productions[/MENTION] said is a big plus too, the storage of that thing would be a pain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info