Sous-vide pork tenderloin. the continuation of sous-vide kj adventures

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
welp. this might be my favorite thing I've done so far.

also, you all suck for not buying a sous vide anything even with how awesome i've told you they are.

10629760_10204638226853023_460655488938557479_n.jpg

did two pork tenderloins seperately at 135* for 3 hours, removed and seared with my mega-fuck-torch

one just rubbed with montreal steak rub, and with a very small amount of butter, then the other, injected with an octoberfest reduction (cuz why the fuck not) and then coated in a maple/bourbon rub and then sauced up with more of the reduction that i injected it with.

:fy:

so fucking good. it's like candy, it melts in your mouth.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What're you using for the vacuum sealing?

I've got the Anova sitting in my shopping cart...

i had been using the zip-loc vacu--seal bags that say sous-vide right on the box. like this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UEMFUG/?tag=tcg21-20

81XzrujsStL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm going to build a controller for my crock pot. Too much of a cheap ass to spend money on a gadget I'm going to use a handful of times a year. I'm intrigued though.

Make some chicken tits, I bet they're amazingly juicy

i did chicken breasts a few weeks ago- just with coconut oil, salt and pepper- i think i posted about them in another thread. turned out awesome.

i wonder if whoever bought the crock pot on here got it to work right.

everything i've read about the crock pot method seems to be more of a hassle than it's worth... because the temperature coasts past the temp you need and then drops and just keeps going up and down... and i mean shit, you mess up 4-5 significant portions of meat- you're at half the price of an anova circulator- 180$ shipped.

fuggit.

you can use a ziplock bag as well, a vacuum sealer would be ideal though

[MENTION=422]BillyBru[/MENTION] sort of mentioned that the vacuum sealer method is super overrated, and now that i have done it a bunch, im compelled to agree.

these tenderloins i did, i did one in a gallon double seal ziploc (30 bags for like $3 or something) and the other one i did in one of the vacuum-suck out bag things (significantly more money- just like a vacuum sealer) definitely no difference in taste, texture, or quality for this.

the water immersion method works awesome

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Was looking into the "vacuum" ziplocks with the hand pump. We use them at our cottages to long term food. Assuming it'd work fine

yep those are them.

id think getting 90% of the air out of a bag with your mouth or submerging it, would be good enough. It's just to keep as much as the contents of the bag in contact with water as possible

what i did when i just used a gallon one for the tenderloin- was get as much air out at first, then slowly roll the bag to get more out- leaving a tiny portion of the bag open still, and then i submerged it slowly letting the air escape- kind of how a baggy drysuit feels in the water

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GT753W8/?tag=tcg21-20

Same torch as you. Amazon is the only retailer my brain accepts as real.

No idea what to make first. Think there's some filets in the freezer?

:rofl:

that one is beefier than mine.

i got the one the "step down" because it has bluetooth and im a nerd... and checking to see if it's "working" from my couch/garage is cool.

but that one you got is beefier- seems to heat the water quicker.

make sure you get butane for the torch as well- ace hardware had it by me- it was in the camping section. it's a bigger-sized bottle- it is available on amazon as well.

i love filets. and meat. and yeah. :fy:

BillyBru

FoodHead
Apr 29, 2008
[MENTION=422]BillyBru[/MENTION] sort of mentioned that the vacuum sealer method is super overrated, and now that i have done it a bunch, im compelled to agree.

Vacuum seal would be ideal but if you don't want to spend the money I feel like its perfectly fine to squeeze out, then suck out. As long as the plastic is tight and formed around the meat, :io:, it should work out fine. Vacuum sealing is also great for marinating, since there is no air in there the liquid absorbs into the meat quicker, then you can just cook the meat in the bag, kill two birds with one stone.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
i've been pretty much just going off of google everytime i've made anything with recipes as far as time goes.

but so far basically...

strip steaks 45 minutes at 133* is awesome

pork tenderloin i went 135* for 3 hours

i can't remember what i did chicken at- i did it higher than like everything told me to- in another thread i probably put what i did it at.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info