Sous-Vide Shredded Rump Roast aka Pot Roast aka delicious aka nom

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
pics to come...

Don't know if many of you'll even care about this one, but I'm typing it out to remember how I did it.

I had a craving for pot roast- just the meat portion :pedobear:- not the whole beef-stew-esque creation- something like you get at a restaurant on a pot roast sammich- so after reading a whole bunch of nothing online, I winged it- loosely based off of one comment I read on a recipe post:

We cook large amounts, 1,600 lbs. at a time of chuck roast. They weight about 12 lbs. each. They are seasoned and bagged. We use a cook-tank that circulated the hot water and is computer programed to monitor internal temperatures and then hold at that for whatever about of time we have determined to give us the best results. We set the water temperature for 150 F. and hold for 24 hrs. We are looking for a Pot Roast flavor and texture profile, not beef steak. Have you ever been served rare or med rare pot roast? If you want Pot Roast, then a higher temperature for a longer time will give you those results. Hope this is of some help to you!
Chef John

So.

I bought a 5 ish pound 3.49 per lb rump roast from the grocery store and set out. I injected it with some beef broth as well as a tiny bit of liquid smoke and some Worcestershire sauce.

I then rubbed it with some dijon musard, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, montreal steak rub stuff and some garlic salt pepper seasoning shit i bought on sale that's delicious.

Threw it in a bag with a very small amount of butter cuz it made sense to me and into 150* water for 24 hours... removed it, put the au jus to the side and reduced it, patted the meat dry, seared it on all sides in my iron skilled and then i shredded the meat using bear claws. (fucking awesome)

71cBTlpU%2BGL._SL1500_.jpg

I then put all of it together (juice and meat) into a pan and just warmed it up a bit while i stirred it...

boom. the end.

will post finished results later. but anyone who finally gets a sous vide machine... do this. and then high five me cuz you're welcome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info