cooking steaks in a hot tub.... 1st sous vide cooking extravaganza inside

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
well. i did it. i said fuck it and bought a sous vide cooker earlier this week.

im sad i waited this long.

Anova Culinary | Anova Precision Cooker

I bought this one. why. i have no idea why i chose that one. maybe i liked their reviews on amazon and the fact it has bluetooth so i can nerd out.

I vacuusealed the steaks in ziploc bags (they actually have bags where you buy a pump to suck the air out... works awesome) you can also just use a normal ziploc bag and submerge it slowly to get the air to escape.

i put a lil rub on the steaks and some Worcestershire sauce in the bag while the water preheated... took about 30 minutes or so to get the water from 66* or so to 131*... then i just put the steaks in. and just let em chill in their hot tub for just under two hours- removed from the bags, patted dry and then sauteed in a iron skillet as hot as i could get it with oil, on each side, very quickly.

pics couldn't capture how epic this turned out. so fucking good.

20150130_175307_zpsdklsf1if.jpg

20150130_200326_zpsxaa3uay7.jpg

20150130_200353_zpsvsadafyg.jpg

20150130_201139_zpskf8xyftm.jpg

20150130_201103_zpsuwpc8wfo.jpg

i did four strip steaks like this- not prime- just choice strip steaks. my cousin and I agreed that it was by far one of the most tender steaks we have ever had- it's incredible... and so easy it felt like cheating.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Really interesting. I never heard of this method before.

The product seems to use the low and slow school of cooking. That's probably where the tenderness comes from. Collagen breaks down when meat is cooked low and slow. Meat is smoked at around 225* so this sous vide method uses even lower heat.

I wonder about using a slow cooker filled with water? I already have a food saver for vacuum sealing. I'll have to see what kind of temps I get on low and high and if they stay steady enough to use for sous vide cooking.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
When can I come over for a sample?

bring some meats

Very interesting. Not sure I could ever change the way I prepare red meat but man, this is one hell of an eye opener

it's awesome.

Really interesting. I never heard of this method before.

The product seems to use the low and slow school of cooking. That's probably where the tenderness comes from. Collagen breaks down when meat is cooked low and slow. Meat is smoked at around 225* so this sous vide method uses even lower heat.

I wonder about using a slow cooker filled with water? I already have a food saver for vacuum sealing. I'll have to see what kind of temps I get on low and high and if they stay steady enough to use for sous vide cooking.

it's different though. i smoke meat around 185*... also. the tenderness comes from the fact that you aren't obliterating the meat at a high temp.

there are things that use a slow cooker to sous vide.... it regulates the slow cooker temp.

using a slow cooker by itself won't work. slow cookers get waaaaaaaaaaaay too hot.

i left it in for an hour and 45 just cuz i was working on my house. they are done in 30-45 and good to go if you'd like.

we're talking a difference of 100* here... that's a lot.

BillyBru

FoodHead
Apr 29, 2008
Thoughts on sous vide then into a hot cast iron pan for a few seconds each side to sear/caramelize?
That's the typical method. It gets perfectly cooked then seared for flavor. It minimizes the gray, overdone ring of meat when you grill, pan sear, or broil a steak. This way you have perfectly done steak all the way through. @KJ I'm super jealous you have one. I see these popping up in people's homes all over the place. When I first heard about it these machines were commercial for restaurant use only and over $1000.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Thoughts on sous vide then into a hot cast iron pan for a few seconds each side to sear/caramelize?

yep that's what I did.

a lot of people actually recommend searing with a torch.

I've got beers and the meat in my pants.

:pedobear: say no more.

I like the idea of buying $4 a lb. lesser quality meat, cooking it for a day or two and ending up with ribeye quality tenderness with more flavor. Youtube has some great videos on sous vide cooking.

that's fine and dandy. It can do that too. these steaks were 6.99 a lb and delightful and ready quickly.... and perfectly.

plenty of youtube links. i've shared a few in the other thread.

That's the typical method. It gets perfectly cooked then seared for flavor. It minimizes the gray, overdone ring of meat when you grill, pan sear, or broil a steak. This way you have perfectly done steak all the way through. @KJ I'm super jealous you have one. I see these popping up in people's homes all over the place. When I first heard about it these machines were commercial for restaurant use only and over $1000.

:werd:

i love it [MENTION=422]BillyBru[/MENTION], i couldn't stop thinkin' that you would love this shit as i was using it :rofl:

did you sear it with a torch ever?

We had one like this in school. I guess they still are expensive as fuck. Quick Google search and saw one for over 2k. Vollrath 40868 Sous Vide Immersion Circulator Head | myBoelter

daaayumngina.

This is moving from my want list to my need list.

do it.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info