Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
this shit is mind fucking.

want to try.

don't want to pay for :rofl:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...d-keywords=sous+vide&rh=n:1055398,k:sous+vide

Sous-Vide 101: Prime Steak Primer | Serious Eats

f you've gone out to a fancy restaurant in the last five years or so, you've most likely eaten a protein that was cooked sous-vide in a water bath, whether you knew it or not. The process of vacuum-packing meat and cooking it in a precise temperature-controlled water bath has revolutionized the way fine-dining restaurants are run.

The introduction of the Sous-Vide Supreme, the first temperature-controlled water bath designed for home cooks promises to do the same for home cookery. Finally, anyone with a bit of cash (or a generous friend or two) can produce perfectly cooked proteins without fail—chicken with a juiciness the Colonel's wife only dreamed of, and the kind of double-thick pork chops that would've made me break out a celebratory PBR mid-service, had I been able to produce it when I was a line cook.

Unfortunately, there aren't too many practical resources for home cooks now that they've actually got the damn machines. Hopefully, this new recipe series will shed some light on sous-vide cookery basics.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
What in the fuck does it actually do? Im lost. Something about a water bath??

exactly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsvls0M8AZw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsvls0M8AZw

you vacuum seal the steak in a bag... then place it into a water bath of what temperature you choose within .1* ... so medium rare steak- you set it for 130-135. and the steak is perfectly cooked throughout with no chance of over cooking

beef-comparison-lg.jpg

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
exactly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h_y3svpNiw

you vacuum seal the steak in a bag... then place it into a water bath of what temperature you choose within .1* ... so medium rare steak- you set it for 130-135. and the steak is perfectly cooked throughout with no chance of over cooking

beef-comparison-lg.jpg

Sounds interesting. I only eat steak once a year on my bday at some steak house around, but if I were into eating steak like this, it seems like a good investment. I wonder if the Texas Steak house in Crystal Lake is using this technology...

Good find. Now if it could be used to make the best cheese burger in the world, I'd buy right now.

crooks

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Sep 30, 2012
Elgin IL
I need to look into this. I think I could redneck something together with a 500 watt fish tank heater and a temperature controller that I already have. I can control the temp within a couple degrees. I wonder if I could hold a bucket of water at 130*? I am used to holding a 250 gallon reef tank at 78* Time to experiment?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
I need to look into this. I think I could redneck something together with a 500 watt fish tank heater and a temperature controller that I already have. I can control the temp within a couple degrees. I wonder if I could hold a bucket of water at 130*? I am used to holding a 250 gallon reef tank at 78* Time to experiment?

:fy:

I don't have those things so the 179$ for the dealio here made sense kinda.

subscribed to see your results/opinion. i haven't tried a steak like this, according to your links it states it makes any steak extremely tender...how tender, are we talking filet or something?

well the biggest part is it completely evenly cooks anything you are cooking the entire way through- unlike grilling where it's super hot and you hope the inside winds up at the temp you'd like.

don't get me wrong, this probably. will just be "another" way for me to cook a steak in addition to charcoal grilling, pellet grilling, broilin' etc..

Never heard of this. Looks interesting and worth a try, at least the beer cooler method.

:fy:

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info