Tofu?

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
Any one else around here eat tofu? Been eating it for past week w/my salads...

First I press out all water for good 30mins or so.. Then I cut it up into small squares. Then I marinade it in italian dressing and chili paste and *a secret ingredient mix for about 5 hours or so then i'll bake it for 40+ mins till golden brown let it cool on the cookie sheet.. toss in fridge and use for salads.. tastes pretty good.

Any other ideas?

LiquidPen

Forum Sponsor
Jun 23, 2011
Bartlett, IL
I make it now and then. My son loves it in a stir fry. I get the extra firm and before marinating it or cooking it you gotta spend some time pressing out the excess water else it gets all nasty. I've only ever cooked it in stir fry recipes though it gets eaten really quick around the house.

I pressed it out pretty good.. I put it between two baking pans tossed my crock pot on top and filled the crockpot up with stuff to give it some weight.

willizm

Very Nice, Very Evil
May 13, 2009
The Woodlands, TX
I pressed it out pretty good.. I put it between two baking pans tossed my crock pot on top and filled the crockpot up with stuff to give it some weight.

Yeah I do the same thing with a heavy pot. After getting a good deal out I place paper towels between the tofu and press it a little longer to get as much tofu juice out as I can. Tofu is great for absorbing flavors, but without a good marinade or sauce to go with its flavorless.

vroom

Regular
Jul 9, 2009
A good place to start.

Anybody that hates on tofu hasn't had it properly cooked. It's incredibly versatile and quite good when prepared correctly.

Only advice I have is -

• always press tofu before cooking/marinading (just like you did, 30 mins is perfect)
  • Don't add oils into marinades as it can prevent proper absorption of other flavors. water and oil don't mix too well, tofu is high water content.
  • salt/pepper/garlic powder and cornstarch make an awesome quick coating for frying. gives the outside a great texture.
  • get organic sprouted variety for optimal nutrition and texture

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info