Chef's Knives

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Do you guys have favorite knives you use?

I was looking at Amazon this morning and realized I have owned my Global 8" Chef's Knife for almost 8 years now. I love this knife. I have never had it factory sharpened yet, just give it a few strokes in a sharpener before using it. It's still a great knife after 8 years of daily use. It's reasonably priced (for a good knife) and has held up well. I rinse it immediately after using it and hand wash it. No dishwasher for this baby.

I have cut myself once with the knife while making horizontal cuts in a onion that had a soft spot. Clean and deep. Healed OK. No other mishaps.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005OL44/?tag=tcg21-20

71cOgwGicfL._SL1125_.jpg

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I picked a Global knife because they make lower priced good knives. When I bought the knife, I was concerned that it was priced too low and would not be good enough quality. Most good chef's knives go for over $100, some for well over $100. It's all about the quality of the metal, the balance and construction of the knife. If you use a knife often, you get to appreciate the ease and speed of food preparation that good knives allow.

My sister in law was visiting a few months ago and was making an appetizer for us. She kept making "hmm" sounds in the kitchen. I walked over and discovered she was very impressed with the knife. Her comment was something like "This is the best knife I have ever used. I didn't know cutting could be so easy."

ktraver97ss

I say what everyone thinks
Aug 29, 2007
Roselle, IL
I got a couple commercial ones from my bro-in-law that works for sysco. Forget the brand off the top of my head. Just simple with white plastic handles, but a solid blade that stays sharp. I also have a full Chicago Cutlery set from like the 90s. lol Well made though, they sharpen right up when I need to use a different size knife. Really only use the pairing and filet knife on a reg basis tho.

Stink Star

Don’t Drive Angry!
TCG Premium
Jan 20, 2008
Big wood cock
I have a set of esee knives with a chefs knife and 2 sized Santoku blades as well as a filet blade. All high carbon steel that stays sharp forever with proper use and using a ceramic rod.

I'd say my favorite blade profile is the satoku for sure. My knife skills aren't good enough for a traditional chefs knife

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info